Good + MC Death Movies [Spoilers]

Can anyone think of a “Good + MC Death” movie. Better yet, a “Success + Good + Death” movie?

Donnie Darko comes to mind …

2 Likes

With Road to Perdition, I was shocked to find myself happy at the end, thinking wow this was a clever piece of writing.

Would Sixth Sense and Ghost qualify?

1 Like

Only open the below if you’re not afraid of spoilers!

Failure/Good

A Man For All Seasons

Success/Good

Braveheart (you probably thought of this one already)

1 Like

You mean the movies where they’re dead for most of the movie? No.

Perhaps good success might be a matter of audience reception, sometimes? The husband, over the years, refers to two movies with affection, appreciation and shear happy enjoyment of those memories of great love. (They are not my thing and I never wanted to see them because of the endings.) I ask him how they can make him happy because they died at the end, and to paraphrase he answers sighing in appreciative memory, “But the love was so pure and wonderful!”
1970 Love Story and 1993 Untamed Heart

1 Like

I’ll check these movies out, thank you

The beauty of Dramatica is that it is objective.

The bucket list?

I don’t know how to use spoiler tags from my phone so I’ve edited to remove for now

1 Like

Please wrap spoilers in the spoiler tags. Click the gear icon at the top.

I’ll pretend I didn’t see what you posted…

1 Like

IM SO SORRY.
So so sorry.

1 Like

When you leave a comment, there is a gear all the way to the right. Click on that, and one of the options is to “Hide Details”—it covers the text in a black block.

2 Likes

I added spoilers to my post above as well. It’s a bit tough because there’s no way for people to know whether they’ve already seen the film or not, without opening the spoiler!

I was also thinking, stories featuring Christ as an MC (Passion? Last Temptation? I haven’t seen those) probably fit your requirements.
(Hopefully the story of Jesus doesn’t require a spoiler tag… :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I believe Gladiator fits the bill.

3 Likes

Albert Brooks’ Defending Your Life, possibly. Also, theologically speaking, The Passion of the Christ. After Jesus falls for the first time, he meets Mary and proclaims to her, “look, I make all things new”. And maybe the animated film Soul.

I just saw the thing about the spoilers, but two of these movies are about death and the third one is about an event already widely known (also I looked and I still don’t know how to apply them to my comment).

P.S. When one thinks about physical death from the perspective of these movies, it’s really just a changed state of being—I saw the earlier comment that the OP was not interested in movies where the character is dead for most of it. But! In Defending your Life Brooks’ character is under threat of being sent back to earth to live out another physical life, and in Soul, the MC returns to Earth physically and later on has the opportunity to reverse his “death”. And of course, Jesus is resurrected, ascends to heaven where he later comes back to us and dictates A Course in Miracles. :smiley: Death seems to be one of the key hallmarks of a failure/bad story because metaphysical materialism is implicitly being assumed, and so death is judged to be a negative changed state—the ultimate, bad changed state, in fact. Once the valuation turns positive, it appears to always be in a context where we are asserting a belief in an afterlife, which brings up the question: when is “death” really death? This is true for even movies like Gladiator, where the film strongly suggests that the condition of the MC reuniting with his family in the afterlife isn’t just in his imagination. Oh, geez. I probably do need the spoiler tag now. Can I apply it after the fact?

1 Like