Hinder in storyforming

I decided to look through all the films analyzed to see how the storyforming used ‘hinder’ and share my thoughts. Recently, I was listening to a storyforming discussion and learned why I might not have liked some things about the film. There were three throughlines that had it emphasized (particulars escape me now) and for my taste that might have been too much. It brought to me how hinder choices could be powerful, and I wanted to keep an eye on its existence in my future storyforming. It, also, brought to mind my first encounter with hinder.

Shortly after TCM began in the l990’s, I started using Dramatica even going to some workshops. I watched hundreds of earlier films. I knew protagonist and antagonist from writing and reading, but there was another major character that always existed. I could see it. Dramatica theory showed me it was contagonist with traits of hinder and temptation. The contagonist was as important to the film and story as the other two. I was impressed by the theory’s [accuracy/knowledge]. Now, I decided to see where the hinder existed in the previously analyzed films and discover if I liked the film. I will just add to this.

2 Likes

I love Hinder as an Element, but you’re right that it can be overdone. A character with a too-strong emphasis on Hinder can often feel like they’re a bumbler or even actively malevolent towards their own cause. I want to read more stories with characters that use Hinder for good.

1 Like

I love Hinder! In my sci-fi trilogy the IC changes from Help (doing whatever she can to help her mom with her cancer) to Hinder (being a burden on someone). I really enjoy those more esoteric ways of illustrating it, stuff that involves burdening, harm, doing damage, etc.

I also had a lot of fun with the OS Solution of Hinder – just a really cool solution to the problem they faced – but you’ll have to read it if you want to find out. (Planning to publish next year, PM me if you want to beta-read, but warning it’s pretty long.)

There was also a funny one that I think popped into the story without me realizing until after, where one of the starfighter pilots had held onto his missiles even though he should’ve used them earlier. So then in a crucial moment he was able to use them against a capital ship. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back to the Future is an interesting example of a Steadfast Main Character with a Problem of Hinder.

2 Likes

I’d love to. From what you said in your previous paragraph, you seem to craft the kind of stories I love.

2 Likes

You should read it! It’s great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Lakis ! :blush:

@victoria I’ll get in touch with you after November (doing NanoWriMo!).

2 Likes

My first step in seeing where “hinder” showed up in storyforms was to use the Dramatica.com’s analysis filter. It gave a rather entertaining, fast and quick overview to a few of them. Later, I will put the comprehensive storyforms into Dramatica program to see where hinder showed up, since there they don’t show it (at least with some during my quick overview).

OVERALL
Overall Story Problem Hinder
Auntie Mame
Galaxy Quest
Jerry Maguire
The Cooler

Overall Story Solution Hinder
A Star Is Born
Enchanted
Surf’s Up
The Dinner Game
The Fugitive