Hunger Games (Book 1)

So I’m more confused now. I went from a skeptic to a believer to now I suppose I’m agnostic. :smiley:

I finally had some time to watch the Subtext Writer’s Room regarding this thread.

I’ve come to these conclusions about the movie (and movie series):

• The movie has abrupt subtlety, “hoping” viewers to catch on, “knowing” readers will.
  • The movie uses too much screen time to set up the series form at the above expense.
  • The subtle context for the first movie is available only in the full series or from the book.
  • The throughlines, over the set of stories are so crazily tightly woven analysis is hard.
  • Thus, the movie, as Jim said, is actually a mess.*

Ultimately, I think these discussions have significantly helped me understand how much detail a writer can actually get into with descriptions and scenes in a novel versus a film, and what it may cause under scrutiny. So, thanks for this: It was extremely helpful.

*This is something I actually agree with, thinking back on my first attempted watch. Jim said the movie fell flat or felt boring or something like that, which encapsulated my original sentiments, until I watched the entire series. (Though, I suspect that is still messy, too…)

2 Likes