IC Throughline subtext

Does the influence character Throughline focus on the influence and not the IC the same way the relationship Throughline focuses on the relationship and not the characters in the relationship?

2 Likes

Yes. :slight_smile:

But, bear in mind that influence can come in different ways. For example, an IC Concern of The Future might include the IC influencing the MC through conflict for that stems from The Future (e.g. the IC chooses the MC for a career that is both exciting and scary, creating a dilemma for the MC).

Or the IC herself might face conflict around The Future, for example, her own career is threatened, or a loved one has a poor prognosis. In this case, the IC influences the MC by how they face their own conflict – the approach they take, the choices they make.

A lot of the time, it will be a combination of both of these types of influence.

6 Likes

Thank you Mike. Your examples helped me wrap my head around this.

2 Likes

I’m still learning this stuff.
But this is what I understood from

• Notting Hill
  • Collateral
  • Pitch Perfect

All three IC’s Concern are Future
All three IC’s are steadfast

With steadfast characters, the PROBLEM is his/her drive.

In Notting Hill, Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) is the IC.
Her PROBLEM is pursuit.
She is being pursued in the OS, as she is a famous movie star.
She is pursuing William Thacker (Huge Grant), which causes him, the MC problems.

In Collateral, Vincent (Tom Cruise) is the IC.
His PROBLEM is hinder.
He is in the OS hindering the lawsuit by assassinating all the witnesses.
This killing in cool blood and openness, causes Max (Jamie Foxx) to feel hindered to drive further with its cab as this enables the IC to kill more people.
The IC’s SOLUTION is helping, which he also does in the movie when he helps Max not being shot. And this felt weird.

In Pitch Perfect, Jesse (Skylar Astin) is the IC.
His PROBLEM is hinder.
This was identified in the DUG as he likes a challenge.
Because he is a member of the Trebles, Beca (Anna Kendrick) is not allowed to date him, so he hinders her in that sense, causing her problems.

I don’t have an example of an IC that changes with a CONCERN of FUTURE

I also don’t know how to interpret the SOLUTION, SYMPTOM, and RESPONSE for a steadfast Influence Character. If the PROBLEM is the IC’s drive, how would you then describe these three characteristics for the IC?

1 Like

Think of the IC Solution in a Steadfast IC as a De-motivator.

1 Like