OS Elements for MC

When writing a scene where the MC embodies an OS Element, how would I differentiate its objectivity within the MC’s subjective POV? Thanks!

Well, first of all I’m assuming you mean the MC as protagonist. Why would you need to differentiate anything? If the scene is within the OS’s wheelhouse, it’s in the OS’s wheelhouse, regardless of the MC’s subjective POV. Let me see if I can give you an example. Let’s say SP1 in the OS is Understanding and SP 1 in the MC’s throughline is The Future…

If a character (even the protagonist) in the OS must understand that “Magic is a thing” and people are likely to hunt if you have it.
that’s totally different than
His future is endangered (because magic is a thing) and people are trying to capture/kidnap/kill (what have you) because he does or doesn’t (your choice don’tcha know) understand that magic is a thing he has and they want.
OR if you wanted to differentiate even more than that…you totally could.

His future is in jeopardy because he has been getting sick
Or because his boss is threatening to fire him,
Or because he got super lucky (side effect of unknown magic) and just won the lottery

But understanding there’s magic and dealing with the future aren’t the same. Even if you wove them together.

Does that help?

1 Like

Rather than worrying about differentiating objectivity, just tie the element somehow to the Story Goal.

e.g. If the Element is Consider and the Goal is “becoming great bakers”, maybe the character is saying “come on, let’s give Dirty Jim’s Baking School a try. I know it looks dodgy but it’s the only one we can afford!”

Or for Oppose, the character says “are you kidding? that’s the third rat I’ve seen at this school today. this whole thing was a terrible idea!”

Meanwhile, you could have the MC’s personal issues coming out at the same time. “it’s tough learning to bake with only one arm” (Universe) or “please God, let Clara like my cookies enough that she’ll finally go on a date with me” (Mind).

3 Likes