Question about Building Greater Sources of Conflict

Well, normally to make a scene out of a PSR element like Interdiction, you would use the quad of elements beneath as PRCO (or just call it 1234 if that’s easier). So you could illustrate something for each of Actuality, Inertia, Change, and Perception (changing the order if necessary to whatever works best). Then, if you really need to, you could do opposing justifications for each of those elements.

The other way to do it is to take your Interdiction illustration / justifications as a guide, and then apply a non-Dramatica scene method. For example the Goal, Conflict, Disaster technique (Dwight Swain), or Holly Lisle’s PACTS (Protagonist vs Antagonist creates Conflict that ends with a Twist, in a Setting that matters).

I used to feel this way, but after a lot of learning and practice I can identify the start and end of scenes quite easily, at least in my own work. Once I got good at it, I was quite surprised to find that what I thought was one scene was often two or three. I also find that at this level, PACTS always lines up with Dramatica’s PRCO. (What Holly Lisle calls “Twist” and Swain calls “Disaster”, is actually the scene Outcome.)

3 Likes

Then where does the plot go? Aren’t story point illustrations supposed to show what happens around
and because of the conflict? How deep is good enough?

EX. "We can withhold the truth in order to protect ourselves UNLESS we need to tell the truth in order to communicate effectively."

Alice fixes her hair and clothes and asks “how do I look”?

“Breathtaking” Bob thinks, but he can’t imagine his affections being returned so he looks away and mumbles, “Ok, I suppose,” in order to avoid raising suspicions by being too complimentary.

Alice crosses her arms and snaps, “Well, you’re not exactly the bastion of taste, Mr. I’ve-Got-Spinach-in-My-Teeth.”

“What I meant is you look decent, uh, fine… as in suitable.”

Alice wants to forgive Bob but doesn’t want to appear to have too much of a soft spot for him. She doesn’t want to get too close since what are the odds that Bob would return her affection?

“Yeah, sure, whatever,” Alice mumbles, lifting her hand dismissively.

“Dammit, now she hates me!” Bob thinks.

Alice intervenes because she wants to be helpful as stated in the justification. Does stating that explicitly make much difference in this example? Is there now conflict where there was none before?

1. Alice tells Bob to stand up for himself. (People shouldn’t intervene.)
  2. Bob doesn’t stand up for himself.
  3. Alice intervenes for Bob because she wants to be helpful (she’s hoping for a reward later and feels sorry for Bob).
2 Likes

To answer this, first recall that story points are the root of conflict; the reason conflict exists. This suggests that story point illustrations should show what that conflict is; how it plays out. Story points are not the conflict. The conflict is what is seen on the page or screen. Story points are the reason for conflict, the subtext of the story. Actors might call this their motivation. It may show up directly on the screen or page, depending on style, tone, and voice, but it’s more likely to be something groked from what is there, instead.

• Story points answer why conflict exists.
  • Illustrations answer how that conflict manifests.

So, the question then, is what do you mean by plot?

• If you mean “what is seen on the screen or page”, then the Dramatica Theory technically doesn’t answer this question (without some help, anyway).
  • If you mean “what is really going on behind the scenes”, then the Dramatica Theory will give you many answers (though rather obscure at times).

Gists are meant to help bridge this gap by giving a tangible example of a story point, a tangible example of a source of conflict. Justifications go further by both giving the source of conflict, and suggesting ways it might manifest.

The scene your wrote for this is really cool. Personally, I’d remove the phrase “by being too complimentary”, as it feels a little too “authorial” for my tastes. I’d also show a little more angst in Alice’s consideration to forgive Bob, to help sell the point that is a source of trouble for her. But those are all edits due to my personal taste, nothing more. The scene doesn’t really need them at all.

(Story Point) Why are they in conflict?
Because they can’t properly decide how to handle Truth. [Mostly felt as subtext.]

(Story Point Illustration) How is that shown?
By their attempts to protect themselves while communicating effectively. [Definitely shown.]

Perhaps not to the audience that you intend. But, if you intend a broader audience, then, you’d probably rather show it. You’ve kind of accidentally already shown why. But, here’s an expanded explanation:

Because of my background, without being shown that Alice really does mean to be helpful, I would automatically read her actions as manipulative and shallow – some kind of personal gain, rather than being helpful. In fact, the new version you’ve posited is exactly what I would have imagined without the original justifications.

Given the original justifications, I would suggest something like this:

1. [P] Alice hears Bob being insulted, and is torn about helping.
    (People want to intercede for someone because they want to be helpful.)
  2. [R] She tells Bob to stand up for herself, hoping he would do so.
    (People shouldn’t intervene in order to let others learn to stand up for themselves.)
  3. [C] Unfortunately, Bob doesn’t.
  4. [P] Alice reluctantly intervenes for Bob, to be helpful.

By the way, that also hits PRCP*, which I’ve marked above. In fact, I’ve just noticed that justifications inherently hold the PRC part of PRCP. One side provides the Potential, the possibility for conflict, since it is taken as truth, though it might not always work. The other side provides the Resistance, showing a case where the first justification would fail. When the two are compared you now have the Current: the interaction between them boils into conflict. The result is the Power of that interaction, what it produces.

*PRCP (Potential, Resistance, Current, Power) is the original terminology for PRCO, and due to these justifications, I now understand why Power makes more sense… So, I use it.

Is this a formula for how I should be doing it? I’ve never figured out PRCO other than a vague concept of something like beginning-middle-end or Goal-Conflict-Disaster.

P: One of the 2 justifications
R: The other justification
C: Comparison (how exactly are they compared? Is it like arguing or weighing options? If so, why bother if the first justification failed? Bob failing to stand up for himself wasn’t a comparison, it was 1 character choosing 1 justification and the other choosing the other)
O: Outcome (choosing 1 justification over the other)

No. Technically each of those should have it’s own “Source of Conflict” justification.

The entire process was meant to give writers an insight into the foundational ingredients of an inequity. The parent Storybeat encompassing the PRCO is an inequity, as is each step - Potential is an inequity, Resistance is an inequity, Current is an inequity, and even Outcome is an inequity (to provide the impetus for the next Potential).

There is no clear 1:1 relationship between the inequity of the parent PRCO and the individual P, R, C, O. If you look for this, you’re not seeing the purpose or point of the exercise - it’s not meant to be a shortcut, but rather, an experience so you can intuit conflict on your own.

1 Like

Isn’t going one step further down than PSR not a good thing to do?

I think I stepped in the way in another thread when I made a comment but hadn’t followed the entire thread. Hopefully I’m not doing the same here -I haven’t read everything in this thread just yet, still catching up.

But I think your justifications are ok coming in loud and clear. For example, if I say the Superhero needs to use his powers to save lives unless he needs to blend in to keep from being murdered, that’s a clear set of justifications and the story writes itself.

1. The superhero uses his powers to save a life.
  2. The bad guy takes notice of the superhero’s powers and makes an attempt on his life. The hero narrowly escapes.
  3. Someone gets in trouble. Only someone with powers can help. The hero tries to help without using powers, but is unable to save the person. Just before it’s too late, the hero decides to use his powers and save a life.
  4. The bad guy is alerted to the heroes presence and makes another attempt on his life.
  5. The hero tries not to use his powers as he tries to escape the bad guy because he needs to blend in and lose the bad guy.
  6. The hero gets put into a place where he can kill the bad guy without using powers. But he doesn’t want to kill. Turns out he can use his powers to stop the bad guy and save the life of not only himself, but of the bad guy as well! He uses his powers to save both lives showing that he can find Good Success by holding onto to one justification over the other.
2 Likes