The Silence of the Lambs (Film Analysis)

Sorry didn’t mean to put any pressure on you :grin:

I just want to say the thing that most interests me about this discussion is how–if the official analysis is correct-- Silence of the Lambs is an example of an unconventional genre choice. Looking at your Subtext genre trends picker, only 10 percent of Thrillers are in Universe, of which this is one. (Although I don’t see True Detective in there–that would be the most obviously similar story with OS in Universe/Progress).

I’ve toyed with a couple of thriller-type storyform outlines for my own writing which seem to lean toward a Concern of Progress, but I’ve doubted myself because it seems so unusual. So it would be great to confirm this one.

and also:

I would probably want to switch Chinatown to something more akin to Noir Drama, or even just Detective Drama – and I would say there is something distinctly more “dramatic” in nature with Silence of the Lambs, then a “Thriller” like Usual Suspects, Collateral, or Minority Report.

That’s why I’m on this recent trip of looking at the top of the model strictly as Genre relationships, rather than the “source of conflict” - as you can convince yourself that what is supposed to be general in nature (Genre-al) is actually something you’re seeing more specific.

It’s all about getting to know the feelings, or personalities, of different Throughline relationships and then equating that with the story in question.

3 Likes