About Story breakdown in Novels

Hi All,
Great work with all the stuff and keeping the community alive and well. Truly an honor to join the fold. I’m new here and I’ve just bought the DSE and gobbled the Dramatica book. I also have digested a lot of analysis breakdowns (both theory and video). For some strange reason, I haven’t seen any deep breakdowns of any books. I’m currently developing an Epic Fantasy Story for a novel format and I haven’t seen any deep Story breakdowns. If its not too much to ask, if there are any epic fantasy book lovers in the house. Can we at least do some structural breakdown for some of the popular fantasy books. I would like to suggest one or two. The first being Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and for those who don’t love to read as much ( the TV series definitely helps) A Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones) by George R.R.Martin.
If we can at least start with those two, I think Dramatica in general will see a great surge in novel writers. Thank you all for your consideration.

Hi Khodu,
Welcome! Glad to see another lover of novels and epic fantasy. I’m also working on outlining my own fantasy story, somewhat “epic” though it’s definitely not as much as say, George R. R. Martin.

Analyzing a big novel is a significant undertaking, especially with epic fantasy, because often there will be more than one storyform present and it can be difficult to parse them apart. e.g. there might be a Series storyform, a Book 1 main storyform, Book 1 subplot storyform(s), etc.

That said, I just finished re-reading Dune and did get the sense of one storyform for the main story of that book, so I think it can be done. If you know that book or would consider reading it, please pop over to my thread and see if you can help out!

I’ll put Mistborn on my reading list, and chime in when finished, but it may be a while before I get to it.

Another “book” I finished recently and was attempting to storyform was Harry Potter and the Cursed Child so let me know if you’re interested in looking at that.

Finally, there is a great Canadian author named Sebastien de Castell, you should check out his Greatcoats series as I’ve heard a “rumour” that the later books (at least by book 3) were influenced by Dramatica … :slight_smile: @decastell I’ve only finished Book 1 so far but looking forward to the others, the third could be especially fun to analyze knowing that there’s definitely a solid storyform in there somewhere…

Wow. Thanks @mlucas for the warm welcome. It actually makes sense with all the different storyforms going on. I’m definitely interested in a fantasy novel breakdown. I’ll take a look at Dune. Seen the movies (both old and new). I’ll get to reading the book and jot down as I go along. I would also try to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child when I get the chance. I have to leave you now and get me a copy of Dune. Now we talking! Thanks again.

I know it’s not fantasy, but I did a breakdown of Lord of the Flies (the novel) that you can dig into. It should be in your example folder with the software.

Thank you @MWollaeger. I’ll go check it out. Much appreciated. I’m really hoping to do my bit to put Dramatica out there as the best story structure anything for novels. Thanks again.