Another thought on the RS

I felt doubt for awhile. Was he really dead?

1 Like

I would say that stakes, conflict and obstacles are super generic ways to create a dramatic arc for the OS specifically, and also for the MC/IC but they feel a bit different there because of the subjectivity. They canā€™t be the whole answer, but mostly I was trying to avoid an in depth answer because it would take a long time. I know the building blocks (or some of them) and use them. I also think that aligning the MC and the OS (and the IC and the RS) multiplies this, so they donā€™t operate alone.

I would not say that itā€™s common. I think itā€™s what every romance wants, but itā€™s not exclusively there.

Iā€™m not even sure what this would look like if we applied it to a movie like My Cousin Vinny. (Going from no respect for his fiancĆ©eā€™s brains to respect?)

Iā€™d say it is really difficult to comment on the emotional impact of that moment because weā€™ve seen it 10,000 times each.

I wonder what my emotion was the first time: hope, disbelief, shock?

Also, I think it was a payoff alluded to by Vader, but the setup hadnā€™t been made at that point (as the movies were made out of order) ā€“ so maybe the moment lost some of its mojo. Maybe thatā€™s why he spelled it out.

ā€œIā€™ve been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I met you I was but the learner. Now, I am the master.ā€

Could relationships have justifications too? I mentioned that earlier.

Or maybe it could be OST justification UNLESS RST? In other words, the OST stands in the way of the RST.

But it seems to me that might be MST and OST?

Season 1 Episode 2 of Amazing Stories:

A high school jock (Scott Clough) up for Prom King and feeling too cool for a girl (Lisa Jane Persky) develops a ā€œmagneticā€ personality following a meteor shower.

For some reason I thought about this episode from Amazing Stories when I was a kid circa 1985.

Man, I miss the 80s.

By the way, it would seem that his series is available on the NBC mobile app.

I donā€™t think weā€™re supposed to feel thrilled. I think weā€™re supposed to feel heartbroken, when he sacrifices himself and when we hear Luke say ā€œI miss him.ā€ Later, weā€™re supposed to feel moved when we hear Benā€™s voice and realize that they can still be together, if only in spirit.

Thinking aloud, if the RS is the emotional heart of a story, it would stand to reason that the emotions youā€™re evoking are related to the placement of the throughline. I donā€™t find Ben and Lukeā€™s relationship thrilling. On the other hand, the loversā€™ relationship in Run (in which they run away together on a train) is thrilling. And the OS is heartbreaking.

1 Like

I kind of like the idea assigning an emotion or an emotional theme to each throughlineā€¦ I have a lot of books talking about EQ and wheels of emotion that I collected for that task. Itā€™s something that I still need to do.

1 Like

Having slept on this question has helped me think. I talked about this like it was a question of ā€œhow far can you bring two peopleā€ but thatā€™s not really right. Itā€™s more a question of depth. How rich can you make a relationship?

I am realizing that I couldnā€™t quite find my thoughts yesterday, and worded that poorly. I didnā€™t mean to ask how thrilling we found their relationship, but rather (to use your word), ā€œWhere you as heartbroken for Luke when Obi Wan died as you were amped up when they went after the Death Star?ā€

2 Likes

I just watched the trailer for The Wanting Mare. As I did, I thought, this movie is going to have a strong RS.

From what I could glean, it involves a woman asking a man to get her out of a dystopian zone into a better place. If he canā€™t do it, then sheā€™s going to find someone else who can. They have a rich past together, but sheā€™s willing to let it go and Iā€™m betting heā€™s going to do all he can to get her over the wall. Whichever direction this goes, we are probably going to feel the emotion.

So, in this case, the Outcome seems tied to the characters in the RS and what they do in the OS.