Be-ers, and Be-ing (adapting oneself) by Do-ing

Can you have a Be-er MC who sometimes uses physical activities as a way of dealing with their personal issues? Not as a last resort but actually as a preference?

What I mean is, a character who uses a physical activity to change / adapt themselves – like running or other exercise as a way to improve one’s mood, stay sane, or think more clearly. So not attempting to change the external world, e.g. not focusing on becoming a faster runner or becoming physically stronger.

One example from a film I’m quite familiar with is Buttercup’s daily ride:

Despite Humperdinck’s reassurance
that she would grow to love him,
the only joy she found was in her
daily ride.

To me, Buttercup loves her ride; it’s something done preferentially to (temporarily) address her personal problems, but as a Be-er it’s done entirely for internal reasons, to affect herself, to find joy.

Does that make sense?

Is the drive to run motivated by an effort to change the external world or change the internal world? In stories, Be-ers often turn to alcohol as a means of changing their internal state. As always it depends on the context, or perspective, you are assigning to the Main Character.

2 Likes

Thanks Jim – that’s exactly what I meant. Alcohol is a great example.

Definitely in the examples I was talking about, the motivation is to change the ‘internal world’ as you put it.