Cannot understand what Page 116 in Theory Document is trying to tell me

I have read the theory document once and now I’m proceding to make notes by going over it a second time. I’m stuck on Page 116 titled, “It’s Elemental”. Up until now the text has focused on mapping throughlines to Class members to generate point-of-views. Next it has mapped throughlines to Variations to generate Issues. I’m good with it up until then. Now Page 116 comes out of no where and attempts to define the ‘Element level’. What follows is 3 assertions/defintions of what appears to be a ‘Thermatic Element’. ‘Element’ is a term used extensively in the ‘Character’ section. ‘Element’ is defined as a building block of the character (as opposed to the theme) in the Dramatical Vocabulary. Can someone explain to me what directions/actions I should take from Page 116? Does the term ‘Element’ on page 116 refer to anything previously mentioned in the section on Theme?

Thanks,
Joseph

From top to bottom you have:

Class

Type

Variation

Element

Class is where you find the Domains and closest to Genre. Type is where you find Concerns and Signposts and is closest to Plot. Variations is where you find Issues and Counterpoints and is closest to Theme. Elements are where you find Problem, Solution, Symptoms and Responses and is closest to Character.

I apologize for our loose use of language in the theory book. As we developed Dramatica, we did tend to have multiple (context-specific) definitions of items related to the parts and processes of stories and story development. Sorry about that.

The phrase, “The Elements of Theme” is meant to mirror the part of the book called, “The Elements of Structure.” In this context, element means, “a part or aspect of something abstract, especially one that is essential or characteristic.” (per Google definition) The same definition holds true for use with Classes, Types, and Variations, since we look at the entire structure in the context of Theme, and these are structural levels within the Dramatica structural model. The Element level is the fourth, and final/lowest level in the Dramatica structural model, which makes it one of the “Elements of Theme” AND the name of the lowest, most granular level in the structural model. We refer to the items at the Element level as ELEMENTS.

In the context of CHARACTERS, particularly objective characters (e.g. archetypes), they are built from the Elements found on the Element level of the Dramatica structural model. So the “It’s Elemental!” section is an intersection of the various definitions/usages of the work “Element” in Dramatica.

I hope this makes the issue clearer instead of foggier.