Holistic Characters in Linear Situations

Writing holistic characters is actually an interesting concept I’ve come across since first being introduced to Dramatica, but I can’t help but feel I run into a roadblock since many of the situations I come up with tend to be linear, having a straightforward objective and a list of necessary steps to achieve it. And then I drop the holistic character right in the middle of it and perhaps unfairly ask her to deal with it. (My holistic characters all tend to be female).

For example, I wonder how to write a holistic assassin, because I can’t help but see the task in a linear fashion. (1) Get the target in a position where you can kill him and (2) kill him.

No inequity is inherently linear or holistic – it contains both problem-solving techniques. However, one technique may be better suited than the other.

A holistic assassin might determine pressure points based on the target’s relationships with others that, when pushed, may trigger rebalancing in one or more of those relationship in such a way that circumstances cause one of those relationships to go bad and lead to the target’s death either by suicide or murder by another party.

2 Likes

You might find that it is harder to write a linear MC than you are thinking. I remember a historical mystery series with the first book reading like a linear main character to me. The main character female historical mystery solver prided herself on using logic, and if I remember right the following books in the series shifted to a whole other approach becoming more emotional with each succeeding book. I took it that the first book was an experiment for the writer, a challenge, and I had to chuckle thinking, it wasn’t so easy was it. I am trying to track down this series now. Of course, that was just my take on it.

After you figure out how to do this, you’ll have the nice result of nobody understanding your character. :-/

I say that in jest, though that was my experience when I did this once. But, it is a really good way to get you thinking about stories in a different way, and I recommend it.

Well, I don’t mind so much. I think I tend more toward holism than others in my family, so I try to understand it more. It’s a linear understanding of holism, so I’m kinda handicapped at that.

The historical mystery series that had the first book as a linear MC attempt (strictly imho, of course) was by Sharan Newman – Death Comes As Epiphany, A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery

Isn’t that what the mystery genre is all about? I find your approach fascinating, holistic within linear, and all of a sudden thinking about it, I’m a sleuth! Wow, you put a new spin on it. Thanks for the concept.