Mind Concern for MC

So with your determination that this characters issues need to be in Mind, what can we do? How can we keep from twisting Dramatica to suit the story while also making sure not to compromise the story by twisting it to fit Dramatica?

If you’re positive that you want your message to provide a first person perspective on an inequity of Mind, what can you do to the story to make that happen?

Do you have a clear idea of what conflict occurs because of her need to be believed? If so, can the story maintain that conflict if the source is slightly adjusted? If not, can dealing with a need to be believed become the conflict that comes from some clearer image of what she thinks (Everyone thinks I’m a liar, and that leaves me with a deep seated angst and the feeling that I need to be believed).

If those don’t work, can you take a different perspective on “needing to be believed”? For instance, if “needing to be believed leads to X conflict” works too much like Physics or Psychology, can you as author step back and say that it’s the MCs belief that she needs to be believed in order to achieve something that is creating her problems? Because she believes that she needs to be believed, she spends her time trying to convince everyone how truthful she is instead of getting work done. Because she believes that she needs to be believed, she refrains from telling the stories of all of her outlandish experiences that would impress and inspire others to do great things.

3 Likes

In addition to Greg’s questions, wondering what stage you are at with this story. For some reason I thought you were completed the draft and in revision. But that might have been a different story of yours with a possible Mind MC!

2 Likes

Is it possible that “needing to be believed” is on another level (like Issue)?

So if she is for sure Mind/Subconscious, maybe her issue is Denial – a gist there is “Refusing to Let Something Go”. She once lied, and as a result people didn’t trust her. Maybe others have forgotten about this lie, but she can’t let it go – and therefore she fritters away her energy “denying” that she is a liar which causes other problems and makes her seem paranoid. (Or something like that).

3 Likes

Hi @mlucas! I’m still in revision, believe it or not! I was sailing along really well until I hit the final act. It stopped me dead in my tracks. It was too flat so I had to change it up in a big way.

The tweaks made me revisit and dig deep into the structure again. Every tweak feels like going down a rabbit hole as I refine or improve the illustrations.

I’m grateful for this quiet time at home for that reason :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds like the perfect gist,@Lakis! I gotta admit, I sorta treat the Issue point separately which is why I skipped over it and went straight to Problem.

I’ll play with that idea. Currently, her issue is hope vs dream.

1 Like

Oh, congratulations on being in revisions!

Out of curiosity, are you entertaining changing the storyform? Or is it more about finding better illustrations/storytelling?

Hm, I wonder if the problem is that she’s given up Hope of ever being believed again? (Or is that stretching it too much :slight_smile: ?)

1 Like

Thank you, @Lakis! It does feel like I’ve been on this road for a long time.

I’m not actively changing the storyform. I couldn’t face it to be honest, LOL! I’m using the storyform I finally settled on — which took loads of time in itself!— as a guide as I revise. I try to stay on track that way but if I diverge a little bit, then I’m allowing that. In the end, I might end up with a slightly different storyform, who knows, but not majorly different. Like, my domains won’t change and the Problems and Solutions won’t change. Or, if they do change, it’s not that I was intentionally changing the storyform.

Who knows. Finger’s crossed, if it gets accepted, an editor might change things again! What will be very interesting is to do a final analysis after it’s in a published form. Let’s see how close to the storyform it ends up being. I’m certainly happy to share the result when that time comes (hope you have patience!)

My story has taken so long to complete because there are loads of twists and turns. Making it all line up, story-wise, is what’s soaking up loads of time and energy. But I’m really liking how it’s shaping up.

I did play with that idea but it didn’t fit with her character. The story points are very flexible like that :slight_smile: . I ended up illustrating the Issue of Hope a little more broadly. For this story, she hopes to clear up her reputation which provides fuel she needs. Her hopes do get dashed though, regularly.

1 Like

I know how you feel! Probably better not to change it (I’ve made that mistake too many times).

Oh, that sounds intriguing! I hear you on the difficulty of lining up the story. You think you’re almost there, then you pull a thread and it all unravels! Sounds like you’re close though. Very exciting.

Well, that sounds like it fits!

1 Like

Ah ok, no worries I understand. Going through a fairly long revision myself right now!

For a final act that felt a little flat, you might want to concentrate on the MC’s Change, make sure it feels right, and that you understand at some level how the IC influenced her toward changing. Also if you can keep up the tension in the RS, that might help? Just some ideas.

Oh, and of course, look at the act 4 signposts and PSR items for each throughline. Sometimes just grokking one of them helps you with all the rest!

1 Like