My Dramatica blindspot: Romance genre

There are three dynamic pairs that seem to feel best. Feeling/Logic, Temptation/Conscience, Uncontrol/Control.

Now my question is, taking Temptation/Conscience as an example, do I approach the RS problem as their consciences are keeping them apart therefore Conscience is the problem? Or that the temptation to be with each other had disrupted everything, so Temptation is the problem?

Same with the other pairs. Is the problem that they’ve started having feelings for each other or that they are rational people by nature keeping them from being together, for example?

I’m set on this being a MC-Change-Good story that is bittersweet. The bittersweet can either by Costs that seem way stronger than a Success Outcome or bittersweet by a Failure Outcome. Not sure how to choose between those two either.

To answer this, you’ll need to think about how the relationship ebbs and flows. How is this relationship developing? Growing, shrinking, pulling apart, coming together? In other words, the balance involved. It looks like you want it to be a relationship that develops and matures into itself, so as this happens, what is the real reason that it can’t? Why is the relationship so strained until the end?

You’ll need to decide which of the Elements actually drive this effectively invisible force, this conflict. That will be the Problem, and the thing that allows the relationship growth to come to a real conclusion will be the Solution.

However:

Make sure you’re also evaluating the quad as a whole. Many things can be portrayed under many elements, but only one complete quad should feel like it fully balances your intent. That which the relationship believes is stuttering and causing conflict within it should the be the Focus, whereas what the relationship is convinced should remove this perceived problem should be the Direction.

I bring this up because any one of the pairs that you mention actually exists within varied quads.

• Temptation/Conscience/Logic/Feeling*
  • Temptation/Conscience/Faith/Disbelief
  • Temptation/Conscience/Help/Hinder
  • Temptation/Conscience/Control/Free*
  • Feeling/Logic/Consider/Re-consider
  • Feeling/Logic/Control/Free*
  • Feeling/Logic/Help/Hinder
  • Control/Free/Help/Hinder
  • Control/Free/Pursuit/Avoidance

The stared quads are the ones the contain four of the six Elements you mentioned. It is likely that one of these three belongs to your RS, but it is possible that the RS may reside elsewhere, as well. Take a look at them, and see whether or not they fit.

That’s one of my favorite forms! But, I must ask: Can you know that your MC should be Changed, if you don’t actually know where the MC perspective exists? Of course, you may very well know this is what you mean to write. It’s just something to think about.

These are the trends for the Romance genre:

Desires means lower left (Future, Obtaining, Becoming, Subconscious) - enjoy!

1 Like

Check out Clueless, if that hasn’t come up later in this thread.