Whiplash Analysis

Hey Mike!

To be honest, I didn’t read the opening cinema scene like that. I thought it odd that Andrew put the chocolate raisins in the popcorn to eat around them in the same way that his father did. But I didn’t read it that the dad was super-upset - just that he didn’t “get” his son. I thought there was more conflict in the “When you get to my age, you get perspective” vs “I don’t want perspective”.

When the dad comes around the house, he proudly mentions that he “loaded the pantry up with gushers”. I may have missed this coming from Oz/UK. But are gushers the same as chocolate raisins?

Hmmm. I didn’t get that from this scene. I was just about to write that “I really don’t get manipulation from the dad much at all, rather I read it as a concerned parent wanting to protect his son” but upon reflection, he does this by trying to change the way Andrew thinks about Terrence.

Neimann - “He didn’t do anything”
Dad - “What’s wrong with you? It’s over! He’s out of your life! Why would you let him get away with it”

Definitely food for thought.

Okay - this is fascinating. I don’t think I have ever thought of an IC acting this way. Rather than changing the MC alone - changing all including the MC. Any other films you know of that has this approach by the IC?

I think I might have to go back and rethink the film again and try on a few storyforms to try to get my head around these. My thoughts are quite muddled at the moment and I had better see what I can pin down.

Sorry I think I made it a bit unclear. I didn’t mean changing everyone, just causing conflict for everyone around them, driven by or in the area of the IC story points. I think many ICs are like this actually – especially when you look at their Signposts. Sometimes it’s hard to separate the conflict they cause from their OS role, but often there are clear indications of the IC throughline there.

• In Star Wars, Obi-Wan impacts Han Solo regarding his attitudes about the Force; Han reacts defensively: “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side”.
  • In The Princess Bride (copied from analysis):
    • Westley impacts everyone’s present circumstances through his pursuit of the kidnappers and Buttercup.
    • Westley illustrates the value of Attempt as his impact in this area pays off in the story. Inigo and Fezzik seek him out and get Miracle Max to resurrect him because of the impact the amazing feats he attempted had on them

I thought the “gushers” were the “chocolate raisins”, or whatever it was. I might be remembering it wrong.