Character Elements--Serving Two Masters?

Hey all, I understand the rule about not having the same character playing both parts in a dynamic pair (although a player can contain different characters). I was wondering if that rule applied globally to all of the sections. For example, if a character represents ‘pursuit’ in the motivation section, could I have that character’s purpose be perception (in the purpose section?). Thanks in advance!

Yes, you definitely can.

You can mix and match in most any way you want.

It’s only the objective characters in the Overall Story that cannot represent both sides of a dynamic pair because each element in the OS acts as an potential appropriate approach to the OS problem and it is difficult to argue both sides of a dynamic pair because they are diametrically opposed given a single context.

The MC and IC, on the other hand, each contain ALL of the elements, but they do not exist in the same context. For example, if the MC Problem is TEST, then the MC Solution is TRUST – the two sides of the Test/Trust dynamic pair.

Thank you for your reply, but I have a few more questions. You say that the MC and IC represent all elements, but then how would other characters fit in, if all elements are already presented (isn’t it redundant to represent an element with two players?)? Should I assign purpose and evaluation and methodology based on what I feel most fits the characters, or do they depend on the choices I made in the story engine? Thanks!

The players that happen to also be the MC and IC are bound by the same rules in the Overall Story throughline that the other characters/players have. However, the MC also exists in the MC throughline, which provides a different context than that of the Overall Story context. Ditto for the IC throughline.

Within their own throughlines, the MC and IC each explore the narrative within their own domains. Each domain has its own set (and arrangement) of elements. Therefore, within their throughline domains the MC and IC explore the elements, while in the context of the Overall Story they are restricted by the character elements to which they are assigned.