Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 update for Mac

Write Brothers has released a new version Dramatica Story Expert for Mac. It is version 5.3 and is a free update for those who have Dramatica Story Expert 5.0.

The new version has a few new features and resolves the High Sierra compatibility problems by using a different form of license management – the same license management system as Mac Movie Magic Screenwriter 6.5. Because of that, the update requires a new serial number and software download.

Here is a link with directions on how to update to Dramatica Story Expert 5.3 from v5.0:

Here is a link with a description of what’s new in 5.3:

!!!

Thank you, @chuntley.

OMGods! The new compare feature! I’m in love!

1 Like

Looking forward to updating. Thank you.

I hate you Apple. I have an iMac that is 8 years old. Still kicking. Best computer I’ve had… but I run Dramatica on my Windows system. My wife gets to use the Job’s era machine. :sob:

C’est la vie.

I just upgraded to 5.3, but unfortunately it crashes every time I try to save (even after several restarts of the computer). Please help! I use Dramatica every day on all my work! Is there a way to go back to 5.0? Thanks in advance!

Okay, I was able to go back to 5.0 and it works fine. Is anyone else having this issue with 5.3? Just for reference, I’m running a MacBook Pro on 10.13.4.

Have you tried uninstall and trashing download, then starting over from the link in the email you got? I did some juggling with 1 in cart, then adding the S/N from the email and starting a new account so I could log in. I was watching TV with the husband, so I wasn’t paying attention to what I was doing, I thought. But, maybe I had to do it, again.

Mine’s working fine with latest MacOS on a brand new MacBook Pro. I overwrote a 5.0 installation.

Interesting. I overwrote the 5.0 install as well when I installed 5.3 (it did it for me during installation, to be more precise). To get back to the older version, I had to trash the 5.3 and re-download 5.0. The 5.0 version saves without any issues, as per usual. It’s strange. I’ll wait a bit and then try again. I can’t be without Dramatica! :smiley:

was 5.3 possibly trying to save to an invalid location?

No, I was selecting the save location to my normal folder for writing. I would then click save the story form and the app would shut down and disappear. It was very weird. I tried saving to various locations with the same result. I’m okay for now as long as I have 5.0. Thanks for the help!!

suggestion: check your system log and see if some kind of error was recorded at the times of the crashes.

https://support.omnigroup.com/console-osx/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6479662

if you find anything interesting, you might want to let @chuntley know. Better yet, tech support at screenplay.com

I know that’s all technical and stuff :-/

Okay, I went through the system log and found errors – some kind of bug related to a potential memory leak with the new version (according to the log). I will send the log to Chris/tech support. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Good for you! Well done.

1 Like

I recommend removing all old versions of the Dramatica Story Expert app, or rename the Dramatica Story Expert folder to “Old Dramatica Story Expert”, and then reinstall.

We are considering having DSE 5.3 install in its own folder to avoid pieces of various versions existing within the same folder, which is what I believe is the source of the crash.

In the future, I recommend that you go to our new support site to report technical problems: https://techsupport.screenplay.com. Use the support form, or look up answers to common problems in the online as well.

3 Likes

I had the same problem. I tried what Chris mentioned with renaming the old folder, but it still wasn’t working. I ended up deleting both folders, making sure there were no saved files from myself in them first, then downloaded the update again, installed and activated. Works fine now.

3 Likes

Now I’m worried because mine didn’t crash!! LOL!

5.3 version is working just fine on the first install with the old version still there.

I’m thinking of trashing both, then reinstalling 5.3, just in case…

anyone else noticed that typing in story points field has s l o w e d w a a a y d o w n

I dropped a note to tech support and made a movie of it.