Encoding Signposts with Conflict?

Hello everyone!

First post here.

I am unclear on encoding signposts. Are signposts a place where we must illustrate Jim’s “…and that’s a problem because?” Or is that only for encoding things like OS Concern, RS Problem, etc.?

Thanks.

5 Likes

Short answer: yes. :slight_smile:

Longer answer: I like to look at each signpost as a source of conflict or drive within that portion of the story, almost like a smaller-scale Concern whose context is that one structural act. Meanwhile, the throughline’s actual Concern is still present and causing conflict throughout the entire story (larger context).

7 Likes

I try to keep in mind that the Signposts and Concerns are also the most Plot like. If the Concern is Obtaining the Golden Idol, then I try to have each sign post look like a piece of plot aimed at Obtaining the Golden Idol. So if one Sign Post is Understanding the Message (and how that is a source of conflict), then I as the author am trying to keep in mind how Understanding the Message points to the efforts to Obtain the Golden Idol. But I think this is just another way of looking at what Mike said.

5 Likes