Glengarry Glen Ross Analysis

I thought this might be an interesting one to discuss.

My analysis:
OS Domain:
Psychology, Concern: Being
The whole film is about manipulation, the role of a salesman, etc.

MC Domain:
Mind
Shelly is a total be-er. Add the heavy feel of the movie giving a horizontal alignment.

MC Dynamics
Change, Stop – I mostly came to this conclusion because any potential IC (Williamson or Roma) is definite steadfast, but Shelly does change insomuch as he is a broken man by the end.
Linear thinker – since you won’t give me the leads, I’ll give you a cut. Since that won’t work, I’ll steal the leads, etc.

Plot Dynamics:
Decision driver (the decision to fire anyone who doesn’t make the board)
Spacetime (there is a time limit involved to make sales but it seems more like a lack of options that drives events)
Failure/Bad (obvious)

Since the concern quad is top-right, that puts Shelby in Preconscious. I gave him an Issue of Worry, since that’s all he does throughout the movie.
Problem of Accurate/Non-Accurate (for both OS/MC) works because doing their job the normal way puts them all in jeopardy, and it’s striking out and stealing the leads that attempts to resolve that problem.
That also puts the OS Issue in Ability, which seems to fit.

This puts the IC in Progress, with an Issue of Threat and a Problem/Solution of Result/Process. Since the IC is steadfast, I understand that keeps him (Williamson/Roma) in Result, which also seems to fit, although I’m not as confident about that as the rest of the storyform.

Would love to hear any thoughts or alternative ways of looking at it.

Hey ed209,

I really enjoyed this movie. A total masterclass on acting. I’ve seen it a couple of times, but it’s been a year or two since I’ve seen it, so I could be way off on things.

If_ there is a storyform here, it’s going to be very lightly illustrated outside of the OS. I’d be hard pressed to even suggest RS possibilities.

Things I agree with you on:

Linear thinker – since you won’t give me the leads, I’ll give you a cut. Since that w-on’t work, I’ll steal the leads, etc.

Given the fact that everyone in the movie is a man, and I’ve never met a woman who has this movie in their top 10,000, I’d say this is probably a given.

Spacetime (there is a time limit involved to make sales but it seems more like a lack of options that drives events)

Agree here, there’s no timelock in play. I think Blake gives them one week to save their jobs and the story ends the following day?

Failure/Bad (obvious)

Pretty sure I’m with you here. It isn’t a triumph.

Things I’m not sure about:

Decision driver (the decision to fire anyone who doesn’t make the board)

Actions happen, decisions are made.

Deciding to fire everyone is a decision, but we are not privy to it. Stealing the leads is not deliberated. Shelly accidentally outing himself isn’t a deliberation, but a boneheaded slip-up while he’s mocking Williamson.

OS Domain: Psychology / Being

Roma was the only guy who was really shown as a slippery, manipulative salesman type and the only one who had it bite him in any way. (When Williamson accidentally outs his lie in front of the client.)

Everyone else just seemed beaten down by the job and desperate. No one manipulates Williamson out of the leads for example, they’re just stolen. My feeling was David Mamet wasn’t exploring manipulating people as a source of conflict in the OS. I do remember a lot of dick-measuring screaming matches, bad attitudes and personality clashes.

And, even though this is not a true argument, 9/10 stories that are, or in this case originate, as plays are OS Mind.

MC Domain: Shelly

He’s an interesting choice. One thing is that the fact that he stole the leads is concealed from the audience for the entire story, which seems at odds with sharing his perspective.

You mention Williamson or Roma as possible ICs, and they both seem like be-ers to me. Williamson is a human punching bag, he just absorbs abuse. Roma threatens, seduce or lies. to get his way.

Change, Stop – Shelly does change insomuch as he is a broken man by the end.

I think being broken is a judgment Bad thing. Change has to be a fundamental shift in paradigm. This seems like an argument for steadfast. (Assuming Shelly is indeed the MC)

Problem of Accurate/Non-Accurate (for both OS/MC)

Thinking back to the conflicts in the movie I remember things like

• The leads are weak.
  • You’re weak.
  • Cheating (stealing the new leads to win the contest).
  • The old couple you sold the house to are actually crazy people who just like some company.
  • Opening your mouth before you know what the shot is.

These all seem like more like Non-Accurate.

Since the concern quad is top-right

Which begs the question, if this is a failure story, and the consequence is what’s emphasized, how is Doing the consequence of what happens in the story? Seems like the consequence is going to prison, or ending up as a sad drunk in a bar saying “I used to be in sales, it’s a tough racket”.

Hope that helps spark some ideas for you.

I’d have to catch the movie somewhere again before I’d be able to offer any more suggestions.

P.S. Robocop is a great movie, and you’re a great person for choosing that username.

Great points, Glenn.

I think the idea of having an MC dynamic of Steadfast and thus staying Non-Accurate definitely works.

OS Domain of Mind then gives OS Issue of Worry (everyone is worrying) and MC Issue of Knowledge (of the good leads/how to keep his job)
MC Problem/Solution is Unproven/Proven which also works.

My reasoning for Shelly as MC is that, while yes it’s true you have the reveal at the end, think of all the times Shelly is about to close or when he does close. I always felt the highs and lows of his struggle. The only other character that I tended to empathize with was Williamson, but he doesn’t seem to fit the other Appreciations.

So for this storyform (fixed with your ideas), the consequence becomes Progress, which I believe is to do with status right? Things like making or breaking your career. So in that sense I think it works.

Thanks Glenn, you also have a very apropos name!

1 Like

I was thinking it would have a premise on Subtext like “Keep focusing on cheating to get ahead and everyone suffers the tragic consequences of being stuck in a dead end job.” So, it feels like you’re in the ballpark.

I need to see it again to be much more help. I’d love to revisit this when I do. Such an interesting case study.

Glad I could help!