Plural MC characters

Continuing the discussion from How similar must plural MC or hand off IC characters be?:

Phew - Glad I found this! I just finished reading a script where I found it difficult to assign who the MC was as there were two candidates - a Husband and Wife. They really didn’t seem to be MC/IC - but together they seemed to be a very good MC.

Am I right in thinking that the relationship itself could be the Main Character? “The Couple” (collective noun) being the MC which has its own problem, its own viewpoints etc. From what we see of the relationship, we get the “inside look” at that relationship. Also, there seems to be a distinct Impact Character that exists outside the relationship (in the form of another couple) who seem to argue the other side of approach.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Can a couple be an MC in its own right?

Cheers all,

Yes, you may have a couple (or a group) as a MC, especially as you described them above. But it is best not to think of them as husband and wife but as the married couple. When you separate them, the audience will try to see the as individual subjective characters.

(Note: The husband and wife may have different functions in the Overall Story throughline, but doing so may confuse the audience, so you would need to work extra hard to be consistent within the context of the throughlines, i.e. separate in the OS but a single unit as the MC and as one-half of the relationship throughline with the IC.)

1 Like