Positive spin on Self-Interest

1. Goal … Going back to college to finally nail down the degree at a later age, the wife leaves the husband with a freezer full of Amy’s TV dinners. He discovers great culinary combinations and variety.

2. Teeming of life … forests, oceans, a country-city-state, a family and the yard, each life form having self-interested interactions and concentrations,
    The 94-year-old mother has been ripping out and tossing (to me special) iris bulbs that interfered with her mowing the yard (I just found out … and thought of this post haha) The husband basks in spots of nature in the backyard, not caring how it happened/happens , as long as his main self interest chair is in its spot, all the time, for him to plop into whenever he wants. My self interest is planting bulbs of stuff I like, from what is there, to a different spot …i.e. to maybe bring in the hummingbirds, etc. After living here for 18 years and never talking about the yard, I found out Mom was ripping the iris bulbs, that it wasn’t my fault for ignoring the fallen leaves that I thought had rotted the bulbs. The now lack of guilt feel great.) The point of this rambling non-story is to point out my hypothesis that positive self-interest could be accompanied with some parallel obliviousness. This might be a basic flow in nature. Nature is mostly about self-interest. I see it as self-interest enjoyment of life with survival as another separate aspect.

3. Trade off … the wife cooks what she likes and what he likes, while the husband does the dishes so she’ll cook or because she cooks. Somehow this mutual self-interest has chugged along for 37 years.

4. A college class … no explanation needed … haha!

5. Pets – We had our last dog for 18 years. After he passed and we were looking at pictures of him, the husband shared with me that he used to come to me, wanting me to pick him up, then while I was hugging him, he would look over to the husband to see if the husband was jealous [which was always the goal, it was revealed].

1 Like