Problem Solving Styles - Main vs Impact

I’m rather new to Dramatica and I know that selecting certain options in the MC Dynamics locks the IC options. Like choosing Do-er for MC makes the IC a Be-er and vice versa, if the MC has a Changed resolve the IC remains Steadfast and vice versa, and if the MC has a Start Growth the IC has a stop growth.

I was wondering if this dynamic is also present in the Problem solving styles as well? If one is Linear is the other one automatically Holistic or is it just anecdotal?

It’s usually the case but it doesn’t akways have to be that way. You’ll find plenty of examples where the MC and IC are both Linear Problem-silvers.

WARNING: THE BELOW WAS A GUESS AND MAY BE INCORRECT! :slight_smile:

One other thing to note which is a bit confusing. I’m sure you already know that when looking at whether the MC is a Do-er or Be-er, you look only to the MC Throughline, the MC’s personal issues and perspective.

However, when determining Problem-Solving Style (Linear vs. Holistic), I believe you look to all of the MC player’s efforts, both in the MC throughline and the OS. (Jim please correct me if I’m wrong on that.)

Welcome to Dramatica @Harsylka!

I hadn’t actually thought about the fact that problem solving style of the MC not only applied to their Throughline but also in their efforts in the OS. Is this part of their role in the OS and separate from the Story Goal? I thought that only the Protagonist pursues the Story Goal?

It’s very possible I’m wrong about this; I’m not sure I’ve seen it clarified before. I may have just assumed it because, unlike the Do-er/Be-er question, I’ve not seen any analysis be as careful about limiting examples to the MC throughline when determining Linear vs. Holistic.

Maybe we can wait until @jhull or another expert can verify before speculating.