Revisiting Home Alone

So, it’s that time again.

Inspired by a text from @MWollaeger and the work I’m doing writing a family holiday feature, I’d like to open the conversation again about this film.

So much is different with Dramatica then where it was a year ago. The Genre/Subgenre concept earlier in the Spring identified close to one-hundred separate “Personalities” of story. The Relationship Story Throughline is now about a relationship–any relationship–regardless of whether or not it includes both Main and Influence character.

And both advancements impact the analysis of this film.

Home Alone’s personality is Holiday Comedy. Put that into Subtext and you find the Simpson’s Christmas Special and The Santa Clause alongside Home Alone.

Neither finds the Overall Story in Mind. Neither features a Be-er Main Character.

In fact, if you asked me off the top of my head the storyform for an idea like Home Alone, I would easily respond with the Overall Story in Universe and a Main Character in Physics–from a Genre context. “Home alone” screams Universe, and Kevin slapping his face and learning to shop for himself is all about Learning.

This is very important because I don’t think Genre is talked about much when it comes to analysis and Dramatica.

So much of what we identify as problematic is at the base level of character–and if you look at that bottom level you’ll find fixed attitude-like elements in every domain: even the external ones.

Scope and resolution is of the utmost importance when looking to identify the source of imbalance in a narrative. Knowledge, Thought, Ability, and Desire exist at every level–the question is: what exactly are you looking for when you look to what is problematic?

A nasty fixed attitude could be Mind–if you’re looking at Genre. Doubt or Twelve Angry Men comes easily to mind. Appraisal could easily be indicative of a problematic point-of-view–as could be Analysis, which exists in Physics.

Read the definition of Analysis, Appraisal, or even Evaluation and you would be hard pressed to find a difference–unless you knew exactly what you were looking for.

I’ve seen this come up numerous times in my work with hundreds of writers over the past four years–they ratchet it on one particular element or understanding, without taking into account the entire storyform and all its Storypoints. And what they all mean when placed together.

And I’ve seen it in myself as well. Which is why I’m calling out this one storyform–in particular, because it’s used so many times to lead others into making the same assumptions I made two years ago when we did the original online analysis.

But all is not lost.

We were just focused on the particulars, rather than the Storymind as a whole.

All those things we came up for the storyform in terms of narrative can just as easily-and probably more accurately–be labeled as a Problem of Evaluation within the Domain of Universe under Attempt, rather than Mind under Doubt. Calling Kevin out, judgments, underestimating a child–those still work as instances of character motivation, but fit better with the overall purpose or Genre of a Holiday Comedy.

The Mind Domain for Overall Story and a Main Character in Psychology? That’s Hamlet territory. That’s Amadeus and A Separation and When Marnie was There. Not Home Alone.

Genre and Subgenre and Personality needs to be a part of the conversation during any analysis, because sometimes we can get caught up seeing the forest for the trees. Yes, fixed attitudes could be driving conflict in a story–but is that really a Genre-level concern? Or is it something more granular?

Balancing Genre with this obvious narrative Element of Evaluation, we find Old Man Marley in Conceiving. With Deficiency as an Issue. And Reduction as a Source of Drive.

What better way to describe an enigma now defined as a scary story–rather than a father estranged from his son? What better way to influence a child who focuses on the lack of what is there then an example of someone who suffers from the same?

The most important revelation of this new take, however, is the relationship between mother and the son–the true heart of Home Alone.

With the previous assumption that the Relationship Story was always the “emotional battleground” between Main and Influence Character, we were forced to find someway to shoehorn a “neighbors” relationship between Kevin and Marley.

Now, with the Relationship focused more accurately on the development and growth of an intimate bond between two, we easily see the driving force in the mother/son relationship.

We see stubbornness in Mind. We see inconsiderate words in terms of Conscious. And we see Doubt in light of their bond ever heading in the right direction.

More importantly we see Problem and Solution in the actual dialogue of the film:

I hope that you don’t mean that. You’d feel pretty sad if you woke up tomorrow morning and you didn’t have a family."
“No I wouldn’t” answers Kevin.
“Then say it again. Maybe it will happen.”

That’s a Problem of Probability.

Kevin is in his parent’s bed under the red covers with his green robe lying across the bed. He awakes and sees that it is snowing. It’s Christmas morning.
“Mom!” shouts Kevin.
Kevin runs down stairs calling for his mother, but she’s not there. He is alone in the big empty house, and he is disappointed. He opens the front door and looks outside at the snow. He closes the door and goes back inside of the house.

That’s a Solution of Possibility in the relationship.

And it’s solidified when Mom impossibly shows up a few minutes later.

As mentioned in my recent post about the living and breathing nature of what we do here is our own ability to Re-evaluate. Like Kevin, when we see things in a different light and are willing to re-appraise, we Learn differently.

That’s why I suggest shifting to this new storyform, and recommend that both Genre and Subgenre become an important part of any future analysis.

This isn’t dogma–we’re not stuck in some dramatic Mind fixed attitude. We’re on a fun adventure of discovery and enlightenment. We’re learning how to approach narrative in a way that has never been done before throughout all of human history.

And that’s pretty damn exciting.

8 Likes

This definitely feels a LOT more like the movie I saw.

Rewatching it for the Contextual Subgenres, it felt completely out of place amidst the Mind movies and I felt I was having to make wild reaches just to make the Overall Domain of Mind fit (I actually left it out of the Mind subgenres completely because I could not make it fit anywhere). To me, it just felt totally clear that the conflict was stemming from that intolerable (external) situation: a child is alone in a house on an empty street targeted by burglars, and his parents are in another country, unable to contact him.

As I mentioned in another thread, @Lakis made a very simple and clear argument that brought me about as close to being onboard as I could be with an OS in Mind, but it still felt completely wrong to me. The movie did not feel anything like a Mind story.

I’m glad to know I wasn’t just being stubborn or crazy. Genre/Subgenre is definitely an important and (so far) overlooked part of the theory.

3 Likes

Yes, and I should say that I’m posting this as a means for others to “check my work.” If there’s still a case for the previous storyform, or God forbid, a completely different one that makes sense, please respond here.

1 Like

Hey @jhull, great post.

I think this is a great example of how Dramatica is always in pursuit of objectivity, and I think there is great strength in being able to improve past analyses when something new comes up.

If anyone is curious, it was neighbor Marley’s battle with Inaction/Protection that motivated how I storyformed and eventually reached out to Jim.

4 Likes

@jhull @MWollaeger
Have all the dynamics stayed the same in the new proposed storyform?

I know there was some lingering doubt in the old thread of where the first driver fell and if it was an action/decision.

1 Like

My immediate inclination here is towards an Action driver, because of the telephone pole that falls and shuts off the power. But this is just one incident.

However, prior to this—the thing that sets off Kevin, and hence his family yelling at him, is that his uncle has decided that he’s not old enough to watch the movie. This is what leads to Kevin wandering around and being in the way.

The mom trying to get home offers some interesting things to talk about: She can’t get a seat on a flight home, but the Polka people offer her a ride, which she decides to take. It’s her decision to accept that option that changes the perspective of the movie, because she gets to witness family members away from their kids. I’m torn on this without watching the movie again.

The most interesting one to me is this, and it feels like a weird writing mistake that the audience rolls with because we know the robbers are out there and targeting Kevin’s house: Kevin decides to protect his house for no reason.

IIRC, Kevin just decides to man up and arm the house. He has no idea that houses are getting robbed, but he is creeped out by recognizing the robber in the van as the cop previously in his house because of the gold tooth.

This is so clearly a Decision that it’s hard to look past.

And then the end… is the movie resolved because Kevin decides not to tell his mom what happened? or is it resolved because she (and his family) make it home?

3 Likes

I assumed the rest were all going to be the same. All Mike told me was that he was surprised the OS was in Mind.

1 Like

I’m going to add to this.

The mom decides to send Kevin upstairs, and this is the real reason he is left behind. Not the power outage.

The power outage, leads to panic. Does it actually force a decision?

3 Likes

I don’t know why any of them would change because of the new analysis, either.

The fact that I only told Jim about my one OS question makes me feel even better about seeing Inaction/Protection with Marley, btw.

1 Like

The original Home Alone analysis from two years ago–wherein we explore the Story Driver…

1 Like

Just to be clear for people playing along at home, your storyform is:

Changed
Stop
Do-er
Linear

Decision
Optionlock
Success
Good

OS Domain: Universe
OS Concern: Present
OS Issue: Attempt
OS Problem: Evaluation

?

1 Like

I love the new arrangement. The Present is such a perfect fit both for being home alone and being away from family at Christmas!

FYI this was @jhay’s work on the drivers from the other thread. I agree with Mike that Kate accepting the ride is part of that midpoint driver too.

For the final driver, deciding not to tell anyone seems a bit weak to me. Is that really what resolves the inequity? Maybe it’s, Kevin decides not to tell anyone what happened AND they all decide Kevin did a pretty great job taking care of the house? This seems a decent way to resolve the problems created by the first driver where Kevin isn’t respected, acts up and gets punished.

4 Likes

I think that may be right. Or that could be Driver + Author’s Proof, but either formulation leaves the meaning the same.

2 Likes

Yeah, that sounds way better! It’s a nice illustration of the OS solution too: they re-evaluate Kevin’s ‘incompetence’.

To be honest, in that list of drivers I only included that last one because I couldn’t find another significant decision at the end of the story. To me, him keeping this whole episode to himself seemed more a part of his MC judgement than a driver, or maybe even a part of his resolve (I’d have to see it again with this new storyform in mind to make that argument).

The family deciding he did a great job with the house works much better as a final driver, in my opinion.

1 Like

It certainly mirrors them deciding he’s incompetent at the beginning.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the end of Act 1 story driver be when the eldest kid counting heads in the car?

Action: Counts the right number of heads, but miscounts because the neighbor kid is there, not Kevin.
Leads to Decision: Trust that everyone is there, and board the plane without double-checking.

2 Likes

Just FYI, I have not done a full analysis of the movie, so I have no stake in either choice for Driver. Though, I trust Jim and you should go back and read the thread he linked to earlier.

But, if you are saying that the pole falling leads to panic leads to miscount leads to the decision to trust the headcount, then sure, that is definitely a good find and worth considering. I believe there is even a comment from one of the parents saying, “Are you sure you counted everyone?” or something and a brief deliberation before they accept it.

It even occurs to the mom kind of out of nowhere that they forgot Kevin and she decides to go back to the States. So all of these things are floating around. The trick is to tie them back to shifts in perspective, which is part of what would be required for a super deep look.

If it’s an Action Driver, what is the first driver?

2 Likes

Isn’t there something that happens to the plane tickets when Kevin and (I think) Buzz are fighting? I’m sure one of them gets knocked into the trash can or something, and then the decision is made to expel Kevin to the attic. I’ll see if I can find a clip. (Edit: Yes! Kevin and Buzz fight, someone spills drinks over the tickets and Kevin’s is accidentally thrown away in the mess – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79Q14ASedg – totally an action)

I also wonder if Kevin is an ‘Unwilling’ MC in this story. As you said, @MWollaeger, Kevin is defending his house before anything happens. He wishes to be alone, he doesn’t really have a problem with any of it (except for the occasional freakout from Old Man Marley or the basement), and he gleefully takes on this pair of burglars. He seems really willing and able throughout, so I’m not sure he’s a Do-er in a Decision story.

An Action driver also puts the Benchmarks into the Progress/Doing/Preconscious/Being area which makes more sense to me than Past/Understanding/Memory/Conceptualizing.

2 Likes

I’m probably going to watch the movie again in several weeks, and that is probably the best time for me to really think about the Driver.

1 Like

Hi guys. The first Driver is him Kevin pushing his older brother, which then forces his mother to send him up the attic. If he hadn’t pushed his brother, she wouldn’t have made that decision. Thats why I think its the first driver. Without it(Cause) , there would be no punishment(Effect).

About the OS in Mind, sounds about right.
Act 1: Memory (Forgetting Our Son).

1 Like