Suggestions for 2022 user group story analysis

If you are going to pick a movie to help sort that out, what would that movie look like? I think it would have a strong MC that operates differently from the OS. Like Bourne Identity (which has already been done). Can you think of another?

Maybe North by Northwest? Hamlet?

1 Like

Yuri on Ice (2016)

Am I suggesting we storyform the gay figure-skating anime?

Yes I am.

I think it poses a compelling question: how can a writer craft a single narrative with dovetailing storyforms? That is to say, not two storyforms that run parallel over the course of a narrative, but two storyforms that actually overlap with one another (in this case, two storyforms that share a single OS illustration).

This is the kind of intentional choice Iā€™m talking about.
DUG should be to learn, not just to talk about movies we like.
BTW, never heard of this movie.

My suggestion is whatever the user group analysis, to check if a movie is widely available on streaming (or available for purchase). In the region I live, we do not have access to HBO, so the Succession series is lost on me.

1 Like

I get half the movies from the library.

Time to geek out, gang. Itā€™s Dune-day! :grin:

1 Like

Iā€™d love to look at a movie that has multiple characters with independent goals, but one story:
*Pirates of the Caribbean: The Black Pearl * seems to do this, but itā€™s also a bit confusing. Are there other options to consider?

Star Wars IV is an example of this that has already been done.

The 1946 film The Best Years of Our Lives has three characters adjusting back into different employment situations after serving in WWII. The Japanese film Rashomon has the same story told from different perspectives. There is a 6-book series that works as a whole by Marion Chesney, A House for the Season Series, with mind blowing complexity that moves together kind of smoothly. I am listening to it being read, which makes a more movie experience. Think first draft of the screenplay treatment.

This movie looks weird: Wrong Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Quentin Dupieux Movie HD - YouTube

Would that make it interesting to storyform? (I havenā€™t seen it, but are there other weird movies that might make us consider some of the terms in a new way?)

Itā€™s not too weird if you have ever owned dogs/pets by the looks of it. And it is free and easily available (so far). Watch Wrong (2013) - Free Movies | Tubi. It seems an independent film, and some actors are well known. If not an official user group story analysis, it might be fun to do on this board.

I want to be able to recognize parts of the Dramatic Circuit when I see them.

This feels like the result of looking at lots of movies. Is there a particular movie that you think highlights this?

I watched Meet the Fockers last night and itā€™s weird: the movie seems to have an IC but not an MC. Itā€™s not like Iā€™m dying to dig into it to find out exactly whatā€™s going on (I think itā€™s a mish-mosh and 50/50 on whether or not it actually has a storyform) but Iā€™ll just put it here in case that sounds interesting.

Iā€™d like to see -
Crossing Delancey
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Place Vendome
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (novel)
Metropolitan
Barcelona

Wayneā€™s World would be interesting.

I enjoyed The Abyss, too.

Iā€™d love to see more films from different cultures.
Hero ( 英雄) is one of my favorites
Dilwale Dulhania le Jayenge is a quintessential Indian romantic film musical, but it probably has two whole storyforms
Other Indian films to recommend (that have only one main storyform): Queen, PK, 3 Idiots
I wish Radio no Jikan (ā€œWelcome Back, Mr. Macdonaldā€) was more widely available, we watched it when I was studying in Japan, you guys would enjoy it, I think.
Someone mentioned Yuri on Ice; what about Dokyuusei? Itā€™s movie-length rather than a whole season
Weathering with You and Kimi no Na Wa are both great

Wow, this looks funny.

I love PK, too & 3 Idiots. (Trivia: both written by the same guy, who lives in America, but is the highest paid screenwriter in India.) Lagaan (also with Aamir Khan) is an interesting movie because it has two storyforms, but one is a tale.

Iā€™m not sure Hero has the right structure to have a storyform.

You should start a 2023 list.

1 Like