Suggestions for 2022 user group story analysis

These were fun movies, which many people enjoyed watching many times, over the years. I did not see them come up in the analysis search. It would be handy for writers to have their story analyses if wanting to play around with their concepts.

Enter the Dragon (1973)

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

Wayne’s World (1992)

Legally Blonde (2001)

3 Likes

Mr. Jones (2019)
Wadjda (2012)
Cryano de Bergerac (1950)
Breach (2007)
Side Effects (2013)
21 Grams (2003)
The Miracle Worker (1962)
Richard Jewell (2019)
Passion Fish (1992)

20s: The Paper Tigers (2020), Derek DelGaudio’s In & of Itself (2020)
10s: Your Name (Kimi no na wa) (2016), Anomalisa (2015), Eight Grade (2018), The Favourite (2018), Parasite (2019), Sorry to Bother you (2018)
00s: Legally Blonde (2001), The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), Shaun of the Dead (2004), A Beautiful Mind (2001), The Hurt Locker (2008), Billy Elliot (2000), Lost in Translation (2003), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
90s: Schindler’s List (1993), Perfect Blue (1997), Quiz Show (1994)
70s: Enter the Dragon (1973)

2 Likes

Cyrano de Bergerac (any version) or Roxanne (1987)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Parasite (2019)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005)
Game of Thrones Season 1 or any other season of it
HBO’s Rome Season 1 (2005)

1 Like

I humbly submit:
Waking Ned Devine
Beetlejuice
Dumb and Dumber
Batman Returns
Fringe (2008-2013 Series)
Breaking Bad (2008-2013 Series)
BBC’s Sherlock (any singular episode and/or the 2010-2017 series)

… and STRONGLY second:
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Schindler’s List
Shaun of the Dead
Wayne’s World
Enter the Dragon
Legally Blonde

1 Like

It would be interesting to see if Roxanne and Cyrano share the same report

2 Likes

I just happened to catch a rather great film with rather great acting, and the author of the original source novel gave a rather shocking approval of the film, "…“I’m not much of a moviegoer, but I did see that one. I thought it was a fine job. That Juano Hernandez is a fine actor–and man, too.” That blew my mind since writers are very sensitive about their work … haha.

Intruder in the Dust (film) from book of same title by William Faulkner.

Also, it might be fun to analyze the story Doyle wrote after he walked away from having to keep producing Sherlock Holmes stories by killing him off … forced by fan demand to continue them, and thus gave the world The Hound of the Baskervilles. That whole thing just speaks to writers, doesn’t it? After all, writers started off being fans of something … haha. There have been several good film adaptations. I remember being 18 years old and helping out at home with a family tragedy and year long emergency, pulling a book off the shelf called the Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes/ Doyle or something like that, then reading all stories and novels almost nonstop any free time I had. Doyle must have been some dynamic writer to catch an 18 year old.

My two cents

Dances with wolves
Terminator 1 and 2
Titanic
Close encounters
The Abyss
Forrest Gump

1 Like

In case you missed it, I have a video on Storyforming Forrest Gump here:

I also have the Storyform for Dances with Wolves here:

Dances with Wolves Storyform

And Terminator 1 is here:

Terminator Storyform

The Abyss would be great, if I could just find a place to stream it!

1 Like

Ferris Bueller is fantastic, and what i would think is a very unusual storyform for a comedy (and a steadfast MC), but a very effective one. The sister seems to also have a very truncated MC throughline in there too that is almost completely separate from the Ferris story.

Hi guys.

It’s not here yet, but from the pulse of the early reviewers, it’s bae(in a good way)!

So let’s include Dune(2021 on HBOmax) to the general list. It’s epic. It’s gonna be rich with stuff, and It’s from a complete story(the book anyway-which the director stays faithful to mostly).

And then we need to do a breakdown of something epic. Game of Thrones, I think, is great. It’s a complete work, it’s long form (which will be SUPER HELPFUL for writers who want to do a long series), It’s a great study in character (so we see how to use the character traits in Dramatica, and how hand-offs work), it’s a great way to explore how the series could have ended( broken limits, etc) etc.
Anyway, it’ll be an ordeal but it’s high time we broke down a long epic story- especially one as entertaining as this series was.

Have a good one, guys.

2 Likes

You may or may not know—but we’ve already been through TWO seasons of Succession, finding almost 20 individual Storyforms for both seasons and every episode.

It’s a monumental work, and one that picks up in 2 weeks with season 3.

3 Likes

Hmm…

We shall re-sub to the service and dig deep.

Thanks @jhull

2 Likes

If we do GoT, I think we could successfully limit it to just the first season. What do you think?

1 Like

That would be fantastic!

And it has a great conclusion too.

Chris is the one-and-only decision maker when it comes to this, so he’s the one you have to convince.

1 Like

Hi folks, it’s been a while.
I watched MISS SLOANE (2016) last night. It was a blacklist spec script favourite of 2015 and I can see why! A real sense of completeness to it.
Would love to hear you discuss it.

There’s a storyform on Dramatica.com for The Terminator, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s off track… inaccurate. Also, comparing the sequel would be interesting. They seem to be mirroring in terms of dark ending in 1 and optimism in 2.

Instead of us throwing movie suggestions onto this page, how about we ask what we want to learn and then see how Dramatica deals with it?

How does Dramatica handle Love Triangles?
How does Dramatica handle an Antagonist/MC?
How does Dramatica handle Ensembles?
How does Dramatica handle Trilogies?
How does Dramatica handle movies with low stakes?
What is a movie where the Preconditions bring resolution to the OS?

I know some of the above has been done before, but there must be specific things we’re curious about?

5 Likes

Awesome!

How does Dramatica help with the choice of POV? More like when to break away from the OS to the MC throughlines and then to the IC and RS.

Is the logic akin to Scene-Sequel etc.

Thanks