What are your thoughts on the difference between Fate and Destiny in Dramatica?

im curious to hear how others relate to these terms when applying it to real world problems.

Just some poetry terms, fate a did do and destiny a to do

1 Like

Can you clarify your question @jakubec? Are you looking for real world examples to understand the Dramatica definitions? Or are you trying to see how the Dramatica understanding of Fate/Destiny might be applied to the real world?

To follow on @Prish’s poetic definition, my understanding is that Fate is the inevitable place you’ve arrived at, while Destiny is the path you’re on and the place you’re headed.

1 Like

Yeah, this question is so open-ended that it really doesn’t encourage much conversation. Did you have specific examples that you would like us to comment on? Are you having difficulty understanding the difference between Fate and Destiny in a Dramatica context?

1 Like

i apologize for the confusion, friends. i have autism and it’s difficult to translate what i’m thinking into words when i am sleep-deprived which is what happened in this case.

@Prish @Lakis ur definitions helped. thank you!
@jhull i was asking for contextual examples that one uses as reference.

also, thank y’all for your patience and comments. i appreciate it.

1 Like

Be sure to read the detailed definitions of destiny and fate in the on-line Dramatica dictionary https://dramatica.com/resources/assets/Dramatica-Dictionary-2000.pdf

Destiny is a direction and fate is a moment, to name but just two fascinating aspects of the terms. Depending how you want to use the concepts in your writing, you can choose from a lot of variety and depth in the detailed definitions.

2 Likes

yep, i’ve got them handy for reference. just to clarify, im not new to dramatica - been here awhile.

As is often the case with Dramatica, I find this one easier to understand in terms of its quad: Fate/Prediction/Interdiction/Destiny.

So thinking about our recent Hunger Games analysis:

• Fate: Prim is randomly chosen, against all odds, to be a tribute
  • Prediction: Katniss knows that if Prim goes to the Games, there’s no way she’ll win
  • Interdiction: Katniss volunteers to take Prim’s place
  • Destiny: Katniss stands up to the Capitol and becomes the Mockingjay, the symbol of resistance against tyranny.

This works well as a definition and to see the difference.

I struggled with the Dramatica definition for Fate - future situation that will befall an individual - and I recently found an example which fits the definition in terms of „future situation…“

Students thinking about doing something together during their upcoming holidays not knowing yet that a decision had already been made by the school dean which will screw their plans

1 Like

With Fate and Destiny in Dramatica you need to separate yourself from the common usage of the terms. Many believe they have a destiny when really, they’re just projecting onto past events—ascribing meaning to something that is inherently meaningless.

A great example of Fate vs. Destiny can be found in The Sweet Hereafter and the scents of the school bus of children driving into the frozen lake. Was it bad luck (Fate) or were these children paying the price for their parent’s sins? (Destiny) The film does a magnificent job of exploring both sides.

3 Likes