Birdman Group Analysis

Has anybody had the opportunity to see it?

I thought it was great! A terrific combination of being unpredictable yet never straying, plus wonderful storytelling.

Anyway, would love to think about a storyform.

2 Likes

Amazing film. Absolutely loved it. Somewhere in the middle I had the notion that someone knew a thing or two about Dramatica…either that or just another case of an extremely intuitive author who knows how to structure a story.

More than willing to do an analysis of it–maybe once more people have seen it. I think I have it figured out all the way down to the Issue level – but the Problem and Solution elude me for the moment. Might just be a case of not having enough time to think about it yet.

Definitely encourage everyone to see it though.

Shortcuts through the Analysis:
Main Character Growth

2 Likes

Who’s the MC?
…

Just kidding.

Sadly, I don’t think it’s in very wide release. Should we wait for a DVD/Streaming release before tackling it?

Hi. I watched it last week and would also like to analyze its storyform.

I’m game, but there is a small part of me that wants this to be a DUG story analysis.

Seeing as it’s not scheduled for 2015, would it be okay to do the analysis here?

Can we wait until Tuesday?

Tuesday at what time? I’ll be waiting under a tree at the corner of the street over there. :wink:

Sounds good to me. We can start Tuesday if you would like, I can run it too like we did with the others (Back to the Future, Terminator, Field of Dreams, etc.)

Finally watching my screener tonight, so I’ll participate as time allows.

Seen it thrice so I’d like to play along.

I know this is going to be under Jim’s guidance, but since the opening discussion is usually the same, I’m going to ask… So, does anybody want to identify the four throughlines?

Hope I’m wrong, but I see it following the conventional model.

MC: washed up actor (situation)
IC: disenchanted daughter (fixed attitude)
RS: father / daughter (manipulation)

EDIT: RS = this is important VS this is meaningless

1 Like

Okay, well, let’s test it out by trying a proof of contradiction:

Who else does Riggan have relationships with (meaning they could potentially be the IC, and part of the RS)?

Other IC possibilities:

The Birdman himself.“You had it all, man, now look at you.” <— Riggan’s alter ego
Mike (Edward Norton). “Did you change my vodka for this crap? Keep it REAL, man!” <— Riggan’s objective (what he lusts after)
Jake (Zach Galifianakis). “I’m just trying to keep it together!” <— The helper / sidekick
Sylvia (Amy Ryan). “…you threw a kitchen knife at me. And an hour later you were telling me how much you loved me.” <— Riggan’s past
Laura (Andrea Riseborough) “I’m pregnant.” <— Adult responsibility
Lesley (Naomi Watts) “I always wanted to star on broadway, but now that I’m here, I’m still me!” <— A reflection of Riggan’s current futile state of wanting to be something he’s not

Actually - can we just start out with identifying the Overall Story Throughline first? Multiple choice equals multiple threads equals multiple headaches.

I’ll stick with my previous OS = putting on a play (activity).

2 Likes

Just to add on to Jerome’s, thinking in terms of Goal… putting on a great play. One that satisfies both audience and critics.

I have a slight disagreement with that, but will bring it up when we talk success/failure.

1 Like

I’m in agreement here. This concerns nearly all the characters and (for the most part) all are invested in this goal.