Birdman Group Analysis

Tuesday at what time? I’ll be waiting under a tree at the corner of the street over there. :wink:

Sounds good to me. We can start Tuesday if you would like, I can run it too like we did with the others (Back to the Future, Terminator, Field of Dreams, etc.)

Finally watching my screener tonight, so I’ll participate as time allows.

Seen it thrice so I’d like to play along.

I know this is going to be under Jim’s guidance, but since the opening discussion is usually the same, I’m going to ask… So, does anybody want to identify the four throughlines?

Hope I’m wrong, but I see it following the conventional model.

MC: washed up actor (situation)
IC: disenchanted daughter (fixed attitude)
RS: father / daughter (manipulation)

EDIT: RS = this is important VS this is meaningless

1 Like

Okay, well, let’s test it out by trying a proof of contradiction:

Who else does Riggan have relationships with (meaning they could potentially be the IC, and part of the RS)?

Other IC possibilities:

The Birdman himself.“You had it all, man, now look at you.” <— Riggan’s alter ego
Mike (Edward Norton). “Did you change my vodka for this crap? Keep it REAL, man!” <— Riggan’s objective (what he lusts after)
Jake (Zach Galifianakis). “I’m just trying to keep it together!” <— The helper / sidekick
Sylvia (Amy Ryan). “…you threw a kitchen knife at me. And an hour later you were telling me how much you loved me.” <— Riggan’s past
Laura (Andrea Riseborough) “I’m pregnant.” <— Adult responsibility
Lesley (Naomi Watts) “I always wanted to star on broadway, but now that I’m here, I’m still me!” <— A reflection of Riggan’s current futile state of wanting to be something he’s not

Actually - can we just start out with identifying the Overall Story Throughline first? Multiple choice equals multiple threads equals multiple headaches.

I’ll stick with my previous OS = putting on a play (activity).

2 Likes

Just to add on to Jerome’s, thinking in terms of Goal… putting on a great play. One that satisfies both audience and critics.

I have a slight disagreement with that, but will bring it up when we talk success/failure.

1 Like

I’m in agreement here. This concerns nearly all the characters and (for the most part) all are invested in this goal.

Ok then … Main Character? State his personal issue and then we can get on with the business of the Influence Character.

Okay, okay… Sorry I jumped the gun.

Riggan Thompson (sp?) is a washed-up Hollywood actor trying to make something of himself on Broadway.

Riggan is desperately seeking respect as a true actor/artist.

My guess is that he feels he has squandered away a career on hollow spectacle in favor of fame and money instead of anything of substance. Therefore not leaving behind a legacy but most likely will be add to a pile of quickly forgotten names.

Riggan: His issue is that everyone recognizes him as Birdman and not as Riggan, the actor. When he walks down the street, everyone says, “Hey, that’s birdman!” Riggan wants to change that.

Main Character: Riggan.
His personal Issue: He wants to matter.
(verb be of importance; have significance.
synonyms: importance, consequence, significance, note, import, weight)

Riggan Thompson wants to be taken seriously.