Central Intelligence is a fun, good Dramatica example

The movie “Central Intelligence” moves with a comedic, fast pace. As usual, Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart are fun to watch. The structure also seem quite clear. In the first Act, we see the through lines introduced in proper context. Dwayne’s impact character becomes embarrassed during the shower scene. Through the rest of the story, listen to his dialogue. He says he learned to stuff all that frustration down inside himself. A few times, he gazes off and sees his fatter younger self (definitely a Be-er). This demonstrates the true predicament he’s in is mental. It’s also a good example of a Be-er acting very physical as the Objective Story requires him. He’d be the protagonist. Kevin Hart’s character starts off in that first Act fretting that he hasn’t reached the status he anticipated since high school. He’s stuck in a situation (“Universe” to use old Dramatica terminology). So, after the objective story has been resolved by knocking the villain off the bridge, the story continues. It shows Dwayne Johnson returning to his high school and referring back to that first Act when he was embarrassed. This is a nice “la ronde” (meaning the end matches the beginning). His dialogue here serves as a “proof” that he’s content mentally. The next scene requires Kevin Hart’s character to have a “proof” that he’s content, not mentally, but situationally. He ventures off with Dwayne on a first day at his new CIA job.

I would guess the option lock is the number of people who might be the Black Badger: Harris, Dwayne’s character, or Phil as the man thought to be dead who suddenly returns. Once Harris is out, the showdown on the Bridge between Dwayne and Phil kicks in.

I saw it just the other day and thought it was a lot of fun. I don’t remember a whole lot about a potential storyform. I just assumed it was a fun little tale. Might actually be something there, though.

The one area that I’ll question is the Do-er/Be-er stuff. To me, Kevin Hart’s whole arc in the movie felt like a Be-er to Do-er. At the beginning, he’s the mild-mannered accountant dude and at the end, he’s an agent saving the day.

But here’s a scene to look at: the Bar scene.

Kevin’s response to the ‘bro’ intimidating him is to try and talk things through. He’s not actively doing anything, but trying to manipulate his way out of the situation. Then Dwayne comes in, sees the gun and diffuses the situation by doing something physically.

Kevin pretty much defines the Be-er in that scene, and Dwayne the Do-er.

Spot on about the Optionlock, though.

I had what felt like good success with “Get Smart” and tried another crack at “Central Intelligence”. Identifying signposts is becoming easier. Here’s what I am guessing: MC (Calvin) is a change start be-er with linear thinking. This was calculated by the program. I guessed success and good. I also guessed the signposts as: OS 1 - gathering info, MC 1 - Memories, MC 4 - Contemplation, IC 1 - Progress, SS 2 - Playing a Role. Nicely the program matched what I was hoping for: OS 2-Doing, OS 3-Obtaining, OS 4-Understanding. MC 2-Impulse, MC 3-Inner Desires, etc.

I guessed the OS is Activity, Obtaining, Self-Interest, Uncontrolled.

The program chose Action as driver (nice), but what’s the Limit? At one point, Bob Stone says they know some of the details, the “when” and “what”, but not the “who” or “where”. My instinct said “Optionlock”, but at the end of Act One, Calvin’s computer read out the time remaining until the climactic transaction. Timelock? Amusingly, this was when I was down to 2 possible storyforms and the program can’t even decide what the Limit is. At this point, it’s irrelevant. Shades of “The Queen” Dramatica Users Group session.

Haven’t seen it since my first post, but I don’t remember a timelock being specified too much. Or, at least, there didn’t seem to be a lot of weight given to the countdown. It felt much more about running through the suspects of who the badger could be.