Considering the link(s) between the MC & IC

I have a question from Chris’s explanation of the role of the IC during the Brief Encounter analysis.

If the MC Problem is the same as the IC Symptom, does that mean that the appreciation of the Problem and Symptom should be the same? So if the MC’s Problem is that he’s a pyromaniac, then the IC’s Symptom would the MC’s pyromania. Does that make sense?

I wouldn’t make the IC Symptom the same storytelling as the MC Problem. Makes the story too small and recursive. Better to have thematic connections that work beneath the surface; same type, but different occurrence.

1 Like

Understood. Thank you.

One last question regarding last night’s user group. When Chris mentions a conversation he had with Melanie regarding the IC’s unique ability, the audio breaks up and it’s hard to make out what he’s saying. What was it, do you remember?

I think I might’ve been partly responsible for the bad audio – will make sure to mute the microphone to avoid data overhead next time.

He always says that the IC UA undermines the MC UA. This isn’t entirely true. What is true for all cases is that the IC UA challenges the MC to change. This is the dictionary definition and is “canon” for Dramatica.

Got it. Thank you, Jim. Much appreciated.

Wrote a bit about the connection between the Influence Character Unique Ability and the Main Character Throughline. Has a link to the exact spot where Chris talks about this. Hope it clears things up.

Gotcha. The IC UA influences the MC to move toward the MC Solution, while the MC UA influences the OS toward it’s solution.

And just to go full circle and also explore it in terms of a steadfast MC story: the MC UA influences the OS story to ultimately remain on the OS Response, while the IC UA influences, and might even succeed for a while, on leading the MC to explore, or accept, the MC Solution. Correct?

EDIT: Sorry, wait, I’m messing this up.

(Sorry if I’m being overly exacting, but you know, it’s Dramatica.) ARGH!

If the IC had a UA of Self-Interest and was helping the MC to train in order to reach IC’s goal, would “Self-Interest” still be an appropriate UA, or would the UA have to relate back to what IC actually does (rather than why) to push MC, for instance it’s IC’s Attitude that inspires MC?

Is this a question about Brief Encounter? Or a general question?

General question about UAs.

I do my best to locate Story Points in the relationship between things. This isn’t always necessary and isn’t always helpful, but I do it because I think of Story Points as existing in a web and not as stand-alone points.

Looked at that way, the IC could be selflessly teaching the MC to be self-interested and it would still count, because it’s all about how it affects the MC. In another scenario, the IC could be wholly self-interested, and in another they could be calling the MC out for being too self-interested. The thing to think about is whether or not it effects change or puts up a challenge.

That’s the bottom line: How does it affect the MC? What about the IC affects the MC?

I forgot to give my standard advice: make your best stab at what a UA is, how it works, etc. Then write, and through trial and error and questions, the idea will clarify. Like most things in Dramatica, a hands-on approach to learning is best.