Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog analysis

The other day, I rewatched one of my favorite videos from way back when: “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-along Blog.” If you’ve never seen it, you definitely have to! It’s funny, charming, and tragic, and it does so much right! It’s only 44 minutes long, which is the same length as most TV episodes nowadays. Check it out!

All right. Once you’re back, let’s talk storyform. (Spoilers, obviously.)

Main Character Resolve: Steadfast
Dr. Horrible ultimately retains his central desire to join the Evil League of Evil. Despite several moments of weakness where he could have given up and gotten out of the game, he rejects the potential for change and does what he must. “A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.”

Main Character Growth: Start
Dr. Horrible is waiting for the world to start taking him seriously. At the beginning of the story, he is no more than a quirky blogger on the Internet with delusions of grandeur. But with each increasing crime he pulls off, the world begins to see him as a real threat. Only once he’s become one of the greats can he join the Evil League of Evil.

Main Character Approach: Be-er
Dr. Horrible is an internal character. His central focus is always his attitude; when his plans go awry, he tries to get ahold of himself and become more stolid in his actions. He constantly needs to psyche himself up to do his dirty deeds: this is perhaps no clearer than when he is pointing his death ray at Captain Hammer, his arms shaking with self-doubt. “It’s gonna be bloody/head up, Billy buddy/there’s no time for mercy.” His approach is to overcome his doubt and complete the task at hand.

Main Character Problem-Solving Style: Linear
Dr. Horrible is a linear thinker. He sees the accomplishment of his goals as the simple completion of a series of tasks: steal the Wonderflonium, activate the freeze ray, kill Captain Hammer. He is blind to the subtle emotional bond he has developed with Penny; if he realized what his actions would mean to her earlier in the story, he might not have been willing to go through with it.

Overall Story Driver: Decisions
Each of the major act turns is predicated upon a decision. Bad Horse decides to accept Dr. Horrible’s application; Dr. Horrible decides to avoid Penny and focus on the heist; he decides to target Captain Hammer for his final murder. Each of these decisions leads to actions by others. His final decision is to accept the narrative he has created: that killing Penny and crippling Captain Hammer was all part of the plan.

Overall Story Limit: Optionlock
Dr. Horrible must conform to the will of Bad Horse. When he fails his first attempt to gain glory, Bad Horse narrows his options to the more distasteful level of murder. Dr. Horrible sees no good options here, until Captain Hammer swaggers into the laundromat and provokes him, giving him the option he needs.

Overall Story Outcome: Success
Dr. Horrible kills Penny and puts Captain Hammer out of commission, thereby performing the murder demanded of him by Bad Horse. His last trace of humanity wiped out, he quickly rises in the ranks of villaindom and joins the Evil League of Evil.

Overall Story Judgment: Bad
Dr. Horrible may have gained the whole world, but he only did so at the cost of his soul. He inadvertently put the woman he loved in the line of fire, leading to her untimely demise. Worse, she rejects his true self, saying, “It’s okay; Captain Hammer will save us.” Despite earning everything he wanted, Dr. Horrible ends the movie singing in a minor key and staring dead-eyed into the camera. In the end… was it all worth it?

Thoughts so far? I’m stumbling a bit on the Throughlines. I’d probably put the MC Throughline in Being, so the OS would be in Progress, the IC (Penny) in Doing, and the RS in Preconscious. From there, though, I struggle to get something I like. I think in my last draft, I had the OS Issue and Problem as Fact and Unproven.

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve thought about this from time-to-time, I figured someone would bring it up here eventually!

I generally agree with your encoding thus far, and I also agree that the throughlines are tricky. Because of the short length, it might just be Concern deep.

It doesn’t strike me as an OS Situation story - how is everyone externally ‘stuck?’ Maybe I should back up - what is the source of OS conflict, without talking about domains / throughlines? What’s affecting everyone?

It’s been a while since I watched this, but I’d put Dr. Horrible in Fixed Attitude: that being in the Evil League of Evil is a good thing. He never wavers in that.

I’m leaning towards an OS throughline of Activity: everyone is busy doing something.

Maybe an OS Concern of Obtaining? Dr. Horrible wants to obtain a seat on the League, Captain Hammer wants to obtain Penny, and so on.

Since the MC is a Steadfast character, a Problem of Pursuit feels right - he is going to pursue the League no matter who gets hurt in the end.

That would put him under Mind/Innermost Desires, which I like. His Issue would be Hope, which actually works pretty well, and his Drive would be Consider, which I can see–especially since he never Reconsiders his desire to join the Evil League of Evil. Logic, which… kinda works? He’s certainly a dispassionate sort.

The IC Throughline is in Situation, which seems like it would be a good match for Penny or Captain Hammer. The OS is Future, which I like a lot more for Penny than the Captain. The Issue would be… Delay? I suppose Dr. Horrible does hesitate from making choices in an attempt to reach Penny. On the other hand, switching from Pursuit to Avoid seems more like Captain Hammer’s thing when he gets hit by the death ray. So… I’m not totally in line with the IC yet. I’ll think about it.

Then the RS Throughline would be in Psychology, which I don’t think I have a problem with. I think there’s a really interesting relationship between Billy and Penny vis a vis Becoming and Being. Both of them are changing inside, even as they play the roles society gives them–Billy plays the villain, Dr. Horrible, while Penny plays the role of the blushing, er, girlfriend. Meanwhile, Billy grows into his true power and terror as a villain, while Penny begins to lose her faith and trust in humanity as Captain Hammer embarrasses her, and society goes along with it. Their Issue would be Commitment, which definitely fits. Commitment to their roles, Commitment to the tasks they’ve assigned themselves, Commitment to their change going forward. And their Problem would be Conscience, which also works great. Penny appeals to Billy’s Conscience, but through their missed connections they begin to fall to Temptation.

1 Like

Hey @actingpower, just wondering if you made a mistake there since the quad under Hope is Control/Uncontrolled/Logic/Feeling (and MC problem quad is always the one under MC Issue, unlike IC and RS). Maybe you want an MC Issue of Closure which has Consider and Pursuit under it. And that would give you Openness for IC Issue…

…Huh. And I even double-checked that one. Guess that tends to happen when you’re doing it in your head. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

When does the story begin? i.e. what’s the First Driver?

I suspect it’s when Hammer interrupts Horrible’s van heist and pushes Penny out of the way. Everything before that is back-story and setup for Horrible’s MC Throughline.

I also think the IC is a combination of Penny and Hammer – specifically the fact that they’re an item, challenging Horrible to abandon his course (since his actions indirectly brought them together).

Lastly, I think this an upper-right quad (Progress/Preconscious/Being/Doing) story, rather than lower left, particularly because I feel the OS Concern is Being: everyone is pretending to be someone they are not. Conflict between everyone increases whenever the masks slip.

BUT at the same time, we may be dealing with an incomplete story. It’s just so short…