Dream v Hope Before the Fate is Known

In the first novel of my series, the IC’s critical flaw is either dream or hope. He seeks out the help of the MC who is fated to murder the IC. The IC believes that the MC can avoid this destiny. In the first novel, the MC appears to avoid his destiny. So, in the first novel, this appears to be hope, not destiny In the second novel (or maybe the third, I haven’t decided yet), the MC will, in fact, murder the IC. So, this is, in fact, dream, not hope. But, the reader only knows that after he reads those later novels.

So, in the story form for the first novel, should this critical flaw be listed as hope or should it be listed as dream?

The IC Critical Flaw is something that reduces the IC’s impact on the MC (toward Change). How is the IC’s belief that the MC can avoid killing him something that reduces his impact? To me, it seems like a strong part of his influence on the MC – closer to the Unique Ability than the Critical Flaw.

I really think you should let Dramatica pick the IC Critical Flaw for you, based on other choices you make, rather than assign it yourself*. You might be surprised what it ends up being.

Also note the IC Critical Flaw doesn’t have to be attributed directly to the IC. In Pitch Perfect the IC Critical Flaw of Denial is MC Becca’s repeated rejection of Jesse (the IC), which she kind of falls back on anytime he challenges her.

* Maybe you’re trying to use this to pick between two storyforms? Trying to distinguish between Hope and Dream for such an esoteric story point is tricky, but do consider that it might be MC Luke’s hopes or dreams (or lack of hope, or nightmares, etc.), that insulate him from the IC’s influence.

I’ll take a slightly different route from @mlucas and assume you’re correct–the IC Critical Flaw is either Dream or Hope. The difference between Dream and Hope is the assumption of possibility on the part of the characters. For example, suppose the characters are trying to find enough food to survive. One character believes they’ll get food somehow, despite all evidence to the contrary; the other believes they’re running out of resources and are about to die soon. The first is Dream, because they trust in the slim chance of their desire coming true; the second is Hope, because they only believe in what seems reasonable given the current situation. Unbeknownst to both of them, an airdrop is arriving in three days, so they are in fact guaranteed to get food in three days’ time, but since they don’t know that, we can measure Dream and Hope within the situation they are aware of.

So based on the way you’ve described it, it sounds like the IC’s Critical Flaw is Dream. Their ability to influence the MC is weakened by their insistent belief that the MC can avoid his destiny. (I don’t… totally understand how or why that would be the case, but I assume it makes sense given the context in the MC Throughline.)

The Dramatica storyform describes what IS, not what seems to be to an audience at a given time. If it really is DREAM, then it is always dream, even though it may seem like hope. That is why the thematic point is always paired with its counterpoint.

Another way to tell is to look to the elements beneath to see which elements are most closely tied to the problem and solution. Picking them chooses the through Issue for you automatically.