DUG Movie Suggestion: The Breakfast Club

How about “The Breakfast Club” as a movie to analyze in a Dramatica Users Group session? I’m suspecting Chris prefers to have movies that challenge the theory, rather than the same types over and over.

The Breakfast Club involves what could be several MCs. It’s in a single setting: the classroom detention. It also has nuanced activity, such as one of the characters crawling around the stairway as though reverting to a primitive ape. Memorable lines and music.

Anybody agree?

Who’d be the reconsider character? I don’t think they’re archetypal. The loner seems a hinderer, as his actions provoke the adult to respond. Then what is the goal? It wouldn’t be likely to finish detention. I’m guessing it’s to become more humane to each other… conceptualize?

Pretty sure this is more of an experiential film, rather than anything resembling an argument.

Teenagers sharing experiences. You would have to appreciate some argument in order for there to be some kind of Dramatica-type storyform.

Really? I would’ve thought it shaped up pretty easily: OS in situation (being trapped in detention), MC is (I think - been years since I saw it) the nerdy kid, influence character is a handoff between the others with them pushing the “everyone’s alone” and the RS is about them becoming (or not becoming, given the voiceover at the end) friends.

It’s a movie about how being a teen sucks because adults are jerks. So, kind of like real life :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know. I saw it recently and couldn’t really see anything in there. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I quite enjoy Emilio’s dance moves. But other than that, I’m not sure about a complete stotyform.

Molly Ringwald recently wrote about it in the context of #metoo and so on. It’s a hot topic.

I think the roles have been reversed lately. I always thought of teenagers as adults that were still expendable.

I heard someone compare it to the most recent Jumanji. So, I’m not sure if either have storyforms because I haven’t watched the former recently and haven’t seen the latter. But, Detention sure sounds like a situation to me and everyone certainly has an Attitude about each other if I remember correctly. Is there an MC/IC?

The reason The Breakfast Club doesn’t have a storyform is because it’s just the backstory for Pitch Perfect.

:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

hahahahahhahah ok that’s funny.

It doesn’t have a storyform because it has three!

But seriously, thinking back to the movie, I’m with @decastell in that it seemed pretty standard and didn’t feel as though it would be lacking a story form.

On a side note, I’ve always wondered about this:

In stories that reflect Western culture - particularly in American culture - the Story Goal is traditionally found in the Overall Story Throughline. This results in a story in which the Goal pertains to all of the Overall Story Characters. The Goal, however, might just as appropriately be found in the Main Character Throughline, or either of the other two. In such a story, the overall Goal could appear to be whatever the Main Character was hoping for or working toward, regardless of what was of concern to the Overall Story Characters.

I’d sure like to see an example of this…

I want to see that too, or should we ignore it since the program doesn’t work that way?

(The Breakfast Club doesn’t have a complete storyform…)

1 Like