Encoding True Conflict in Throughlines Other than the MC’s

I’m working on a short story that I’m “slicing” (aka limiting depth) to the concern level with the intention of submitting the story to a contest in a couple of months. The Narrative First podcast “Supercharging the Conflict in Your Story” has been extremely helpful with helping me illustrate the structural item, throughline the item is in, and the appreciation (aka “…and this causes a problem because…?”) in my MC throughline.

My problem (or maybe symptom :laughing:) is that I’ve been struggling to apply these same concepts to the other throughlines. Since Jim, being the busy man he is, hasn’t had the chance yet to write the article on the other throughlines, and I’m running against that deadline, I was wondering if anyone else might be able to offer some advice in how to go about illustrating the three parts (mostly the appreciation), in the context of the other throughlines.

As an example, the IC throughline in my story has the concern of Learning/Gathering Information and all I have for my encoding thus far is “IC regularly snoops into MC’s business without a second thought, irritating him.”

Actually I have—I’m just keeping them for Mentorship students!

What you wrote is great—just write about how all that snooping creates problems for himself, for the people around him, and if you want to get really direct—the MC himself (which you did)

The real fun part is when you try to do this with the Relationship Story Throughline…

1 Like

Oh dear, we’ll see how that turns out! :laughing: Thanks again, Jim!

I’ll take a stab at helping.

So, since the question is “How does that snooping cause problems?” You might want to think about what the MC is hiding that would be problematic should it be discovered?

So something like…IC-Snoopy-McSnoopers discovers/learns that upstanding MC-Tarnished Knight is having an affair and is off to tell his sister (Tarnish’s wife) who will most certainly vivisect him.
OR
IC-Snoopy-McSnoopers learns that Sidekick-Wishful thinkin has a crush on MC-Tarnished Knight who would like to use Wishful thinking amazing brain but isn’t interested in him at all romantically.
OR
Whatever learning just causes problems. Somebodies sick, somebody is missing…there’s literally bajillions, there’s a deadly pollution leak. Secrets of all kinds.

1 Like

Fantastic ideas, @jassnip! Thank you. :grinning: