Fractal Storytelling and the PSR

I’ve seen a lot of questions about the Plot Sequence Report, and not very many specific answers, so I wanted to share a way that I use it on my autobiographical writing.

This is a great example of fractal storytelling that also shows a way that the plot sequences (PSR) can cascade down in a practical way, as well as what happens in these “special scenes” that don’t follow the z-pattern.

This one is the famous Airplane Hijacking scene at the beginning of Dark Knight Rises. Every single line in this movie is patterned into the plot sequences. Even the lyrics of the star-spangled banner song is perfectly matched with the voiceovers to create complete story beats. It is unbelievably-intricate.

This one is the most elaborate. This is the IC Signpost 1: Present in terms of State of Being, Circumstances, Situation, Sense of Self. The airplane scene also the “State of Being” aspect of the larger IC throughline for signpost 1.

If you watch the scene, the first-ish in the movie, then read this, it will make a lot of sense.

1 Like