Help identifying an Element

My MC has two important flaws: he is a logical person who doesn’t let feelings show, and he is firmly anchored in a rational, natural and scientific fact-based view of the world. In order to reach his goal, he will have to accept the existence of a non-physical dimension where minds exist and connect.

In my current story idea, he will first have to open up feelings to get help, then he will have to overcome his skepticism and ''let go of his prejudices" to reach the dimension where he will be able to solve the problem.

Questions

1. Can anyone help me identify the second element here ? In my view it is by starting to be Open that he will start moving (but that is a Situation Variation > Issue !!! not Problem… )… Unless one could say that his Problem is either Consider or Disbelief, and that he needs to Re-Consider his “Conclusion” that there is nothing else but this Physical World, or needs embrace Faith…

2. Ever seen an MC needed to overcome a first Problem then a second one ? How would you advise to deal with this in Dramatica ? (In particular with IC and OS - Crucial Element…)

3. Would you say his problem class is fixed attitude ? Because at the same time he is the protagonist who is looking for a treatment to heal people suffering from a strange mental condition. So I had put him in Activity…

Definitely a Universe Main Character in Future. I would set Logic as the Problem and drop the second half of your story. You might be trying to write too many stories.

2 Likes

Hi Jim, thanks for that advice. Your are right about the many stories… I have to limit myself to a single story.

Re. the Universe class. Like many beginners, it seems I really have a hard time with classes, particularly Universe vs Physics.

In Dramatica, they say “For example, we might want to tell a story about a disease. If the story’s problem stems from having the disease, it is a situation. If the story’s problem is actually caused by fighting the disease, it is an activity.”

Since my story “happens” to be about some sort of disease (ppl developing a strange mental condition), it would seem the original example is applicable: my MC is a neuropsychiatrist who tries to heal them. His Throughline is driven by what happens as he progresses uncovering the reasons for their condition and fighting those responsible.
The OS Throughline deals with the fact that patients develop that condition, and the potential threat it causes. So I had selected Universe for the OS.
Would these details then make you change your point of view ?

If not, what makes the MC Throughline Universe in your opinion ?
Thanks !

This is his role in the Overall Story Throughline NOT his personal Main Character Throughline. You need to find what separates him from everyone else AND see how that fits against what everyone else is dealing with.

It could be either or and there really is no “right” answer besides the one that balances the two Throughlines apart.

2 Likes