Hey all an advertising research student need help!

Greetings, I’m glad I made to this community, All thanks goes to Steve Garriott’s comment in a youtube video.

I’m doing a research about advertising and storytelling focused in TV commercials analysis and the ad storytelling in specific regions to understand the satiation of the ad industry, Storytelling has/have always been a big part of many industries including PR and Advertising giving the rise of Ad blockers it become difficult for many to reach the people"I just prefer not to use the consumers word, Any way i have been reading about drama and storytelling and when i found Dramatic theory I was really fascinated with what it represents yet sometimes I think analyzing 30 to 60 seconds tv commercial might be hard giving the complicated elements of the story Dramatic represent, yet I am really excited to do the hard work so i can get my master degree with a satisfied mind. so my question Ladies and Gentlemen do you think using the theory in such matter is a great idea giving all the fact about how short tv commercials are compared to movies and tv shows, novels etc?

Thank you so much for reading this, I look forward to read your replies.

Dramatica can be useful for creating very short stories, such as those that may be found in some advertisements and series of advertisements. Here is a link to a part of the theory book that speaks to presentation (storyweaving). Search for “short” and you’ll be brought to the section on writing short stories:

http://dramatica.com/theory/book/storyweaving

You can also use the theory to create arguments and propaganda. I suggest checking out the part of the Story Reception section titles, “A Quick Lesson in Propaganda”:

http://dramatica.com/theory/book/story-reception

Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply me, I do really appreciate it, I remember reading something about songs story as well giving the space of Dramatic sometimes it feels like advertising as a concept should be about the grand argument story. Thank you so much for your time I look forward to learn more about this fascinating theory.

Cheers

I used to help my students at CalArts use Dramatica to structure their 2-4 minute films. I have an article and a blog post you can read about using Dramatica to write short stories.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m a fan of Narrative First, Thanks for highlighting the article it did really help me understand more about lighting specific elements when it comes to telling short stories sort of spotlighting character, plot etc… I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, Thank you Sir.

You might look into published psychology research (i.e. in different journals) that used writing, stories, etc. as some kind of variable. One never knows what college research might exist to help with the puzzle and/or be a reference.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right Madam, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I’ve been reading academic journals in advertising, branding and psychology, they have several points of view as expected from academic journals, yet i haven’t found such a theory as Dramatica, perhaps its due to the short time or the small space advertising have to delivery its messages, Yet most belive that theres no fixed formula when it comes to storytelling in advertising branding etc, so am trying to come up with something that would help me analyse it from multi point of view as I have came across a structure that is been used with many research, Created by Klaus Fog, and his colleagues. this structure didn’t meet my supervisor expectations and I totally agree with that since it didn’t give the story the structure it deserve, due to many reason I belive. I attched a figure picture that explain the Fog structure for whom interested. Thank You all.