How do I define the nature of the Story Drivers for my story?

When DramPro asks whether the Driver of my story is Action or Decision, how come it does not ask me to define the nature of the Driver–to choose what kind of an ACTION or DRIVER it is, in the same way that I am asked to choose the nature of the catalyst?

Rabbinical answer: what kind of “what kinds” did you have in mind?

2 Likes

A basic answer is that the Domain/Concern for your OS generally colors the Story Drivers in some way. The Story Driver often helps to choose these, too. They can be quite heavily related at times. In some cases, the Consequence might color the first or final Driver, as well. In other words, the other story choices made will effectively answer the question as to what “kind” of Driver(s) is/are needed beyond Action or Decision.

A more technical answer would likely involve the fact that the Story Driver is part of the dynamics of the story, which are probably more directly related to a collection of quads that has not yet been determined. However, this is only speculation on my part, based on articles from Melanie and Jim.

Such is my understanding from reading the Narrative First articles about the Story Driver and the dynamic questions.

2 Likes

Because the dynamic is only concerned with the relationship between cause and effect, which in turn determines the path through the model.

The nature of it is inconsequential to the meaning of a story. An Action driver that forces decisions can happen within a Universe context just as much as it can from a Mind perspective.

Drivers are not tied to the context of the Overall Story Throughline—that’s why you’re not asked the “nature” of it, because it has no nature—it’s a dynamic. Not a static appreciation.

Action in Universe context—Kingpin rips open a whole in the space time continuum forcing Peter B. Parker into deciding whether or not to fight him.

Action in Mind context—A Southern racist beats his wife for opening her mouth in Mississippi Burning forcing the Federal investigator on the case to decide to take the gloves off and fight dirty with dirty.

3 Likes

Thanks Jim. Brilliant reply and insightful. let take the opportunity
to let you know how much I enjoy reading all your narrative first
articles and blogs. Emm.

2 Likes

Not that KIND anyhow …

1 Like

I suppose I came off as snarkier than I intended. My point was, Dramatica doesn’t really have “kinds” of Action or Decision Drivers–that’s more the realm of Storyweaving. The point in answering your question with a question was to challenge the inherent faulty premise in your original question. But I suppose that didn’t come across clearly…

1 Like

Ok, my friend. Thanx. Appreciated. Best wishes. Emm.

1 Like