How is it received if you contradict the judgment of your storyform?

Setting aside unique exceptions like the Get Out meta-ending, how would the viewer interpret it if you made the MC judgment the opposite of the storyform–and it was done skillfully? For example, the storyform says judgment bad, but the actual ending has a judgment good. Assuming it was done well, could it feel like an unexpectedly positive ending? Or, even if done well, would it necessarily feel tacked on and inconsistent?

I feel like this is impossible to think through with counterfactual examples to existing movies like “what if Hamlet was finally content at the end?” or “what if Clarice’s lambs stopped screaming?” because I’ve already anchored the first impression of those movies and they are what they are.

Big danger of inconsistency, which will make it feel forced.

Maybe draft it out and see how it feels according to your inner story sense. If it feels good according to your inner story sense, then all is good! If not, do not force it.

2 Likes

Most likely, it would show under analysis that other things in the storyform had shifted at the end, also, if it ends up being seamless.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the movie Get Out do something like that? I read an article about this shortly after the movie came out. I loved the ending, so it can be done.