I am really would like to start writing Grand Argument Stories but my muse is always taking me off-track.
Since a couple of years I am working with dramatica and have finished a first draft for a handful of novellas - thanks to dramatica. Understanding how to incorporate the four througlines took some time but ist getting better day by day.
Where I still struggling with is the "Grand Argument Story". After having started reviews of two of my first drafts (both Novellas) I stopped later as I felt it was impossible to come up with a proper story mind question or argument. I somehow realized I have written some 50k but nothing what would be a GAS.
The process how I develop a story goes usually like this:
- start with an idea .. reading a line of dialog, a writing prompt, interesting character or newspaper article
- write scene synopsis, scene outline
- figure out the theme, add scenes to the outline
- figure out protagonist, antagonist and goal .. its often the toughest part for me before I have written anything
- look for the inciting event, first plot point, mid point, climax, end
- set location, setting, ...
- think about the 4 througlines and start dramatica
When I "feel" I have the right story form I either write a short outline for each Signpost and Journey or use the Plot Sequence Report. If the story still feels right I write the first draft. It can take up month before I start writing a first draft.
.. upps .. I already can see it above .. I never really think (explicitly) about my grand ARGUMENT story.
Therefor, last week I tried a new approach (example in brackets to illustrate the process):
- start with an argument first (e.g. Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking we cant lose.)
- come up with story world, main and influence character, theme, where does it play
- figure out scenes and outline them (e.g. many different ways of having success and how it can boost our self-confidence in the wrong direction)
- figure out the right story form in dramatica and write scene outlines for each signpost (Doing .. racing, Obtaining .. wining the trophy ...)
I did not start yet with the first draft as I can't see the story ...
But, does this make sense at all, starting with the argument? How do you start and write your GAS?