How to frame Problems in throughlines

Can the problems (whether OS, MS, etc.) be framed in either the positive or negative? For example, if my OS problem is trust and I attach it to a character (from the OS perspective, of course), can my problem be either too much trust or too little trust in that character? How does that affect the other elements in the quad?

Yes. You can find an example of this in the analysis of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. (https://narrativefirst.com/analysis/star-wars-the-force-awakens)

Finn’s lack of support is the stem of all conflict in his throughline. It doesn’t seem to me that his lack of support affects any of the other elements in his quad.

So, either using the lack or the abundance of an element are equally valid ways to incorporate that element into your story.

It would seem though that if the dynamic pair is say Support<->Oppose, and if the problem is that the MC Supports (something, someone), then the solution will be MC Oppose (that same something or someone).

Yet if we change the problem from Support to lack of Support, would not the solution also need to shift in a like degree/direction, along with the symptom and response?

Or is lack of support simply a different element?

@rallen here’s a conversation of the same subject talking about equity/inequity.

http://discuss.dramatica.com/t/equity-vs-inequity

Without getting into it, this:

is actually (counter-intuitively) not always true. You can have a story in which all kinds of problems are caused by people supporting each other, or even not supporting each other. There will probably be many examples of this throughout the story.

Then at the end of the story, you have a solution that involves Opposing something, anything (or refusing to Oppose). It’s weird, but it works out.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be the same someone or something. A great example is Luke Skywalker testing himself, but trusting in the Force.

2 Likes

No - the positive or negative attributions of storytelling to an Element do not incur a reciprocal shift in any other Element.

A lack of Support could be resolved by a lack of Oppose or an abundance of Oppose.

4 Likes