I can never tell Consider from Reconsider

To me, a non-native English speaker, these two words mean exactly the same thing. Are there examples of actual actions that can tell the difference?

Thank you all !

2 Likes

Consider means comparing the good and bad things about a choice you are going to make. An example might be, “I prefer to eat steak, but chicken is cheaper.”

Reconsider is questioning a conclusion already made because you have new information. “This is a lot of food. I probably should not have ordered both steak and chicken.”

6 Likes

As a German native speaker I have/had the same challenge.Re/Evaluation end Re/Appraisal is also tricky.

An example for Re/Consider which works for me:

• Jack considers to book a three day screenwriting course. The course is every Tuesday in November. After Jack consults his calendar he signs-up and feels good about it.
  • Just one week later Jack gets an offer for a better paid job. The job starts in November with a 4 weeks induction training abroad. Jack needs to reconsider to cancel the course (paying a fee, postponing his dream, …) or rejecting the job offer?

Depends on the story you want to tell a scene to describe the conflict (course vs job) could focus on:

• Jacks approach dealing with conflicting appointments (Approach/Activity)
  • Jacks openness when new options pop up (Openness/Universe)
  • Jacks way of thinking to favour the one or other option (Rationalization/Psychology) like: I booked the course already and can’t take the job offer vs. I have to skip my ambitions becoming a screenwriter as I the new job pays better
  • Jacks eagerness to really start screenwriting or keep a job who pays the bills (Closure/Mind)
2 Likes

This always got me for the longest time too.

Try thinking of the difference between making a decision based on Knowledge or Thought. Obviously, it all happens within the mind, but when you Consider you base that decision on your Knowledge, whereas you Re-Consider you’re basing that decision on Thought.

2 Likes

So when you Reconsider, you’re considering your Consider :grinning:

@jhull can you elaborate on Knowledge vs Thought again (in the TKAD sense, not the elements / variations)? My issue is that Thought sounds a lot like a process (mulling things over), but I know that it’s a state, since it’s paired with a state (Mass-Knowledge-Universe-Situation).

1 Like

When I was in high school I considered many colleges and majors before choosing one of each. After a few months in college, I reconsidered which major I would want to spend four years studying, then switched majors.

THEN, I met a guy living in a different state and considered the different ways I could continue college, deciding on going part time while working. Then I reconsidered being married to him, and we split up with me dropping out of college…

THEN, 30 years later I considered going back to college to finally get my degree. Once I decided to do so, I had to consider which college in the city, one close to my home or one a long distance away downtown. I reconsidered my original choice of majors and decided to do a double major. I added a drama major to see what the actors experienced after I wrote a screenplay with Dramatica.

3 Likes

I’m sure this has some pitfalls, but since Consider and Reconsider are elements of the archetypal protagonist and antagojist, respectively, it helps me differentiate them by thinking of the elements in those terms whenever I’m feeling confused.

The protagonist says, “I’ve considered the pros and cons and determined this what should be pursued.”

Then the antagonist comes along with information previously unconsidered. He’s stronger, or has bigger guns, or kills the sidekick, or even claims he’ll possesses or will do any of these things. He’s saying, “Just walk away and and avoid paying the price. Reconsider your decision or it’s going to turn out badly for you.”

For example:

Obi Wan Kenobi asks Luke Skywalker to come with him to join the Rebellion against the Empire. Luke considers it. On one hand it’s what he’s always professed to want, but on the other hand, he owes a lot to his aunt and uncle, and it’s the busy season, and they’ll need his help around the farm. So, Luke decides to stay behind.

Then the Empire, the antagonist, steps in and vaporizes poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Luke arrives back on the farm, and this new information, these crispy bodies on the floor, forces reconsideration. All his reasons for staying behind are gone, and he now has a personal beef with the Empire, so he goes with Obi Wan to join the Rebellion.

7 Likes

@Greg @Gernot @jhull @LunarDynasty @Prish @Etherbeard
Thank you all for helping me! You have helped me to understand the meaning of this set of words from different angles…Thanks!