MC critical flaw - Investigation

My MC has a critical flaw of Investigation.

I hadn’t thought about this before, but a gist on Subtext suggests being interrogated.

( BTW, she also sticks her nose where it’s not allowed, thus bringing trouble of a different sort but that is more due to the OS story inhibiting her.)

But, having already written most scenes a while back, I see now that in every Act, she is being interrogated by someone. And, she always breaks out in a cold sweat, starts fumbling - all making her look suspicious as hell (of course she’s innocent).

Interesting!

3 Likes

Perfect! Sometimes your subconscious comes up with the best stuff on its own to fit your storyform. (Though I think the fact that you consciously align the rest of the story to a storyform helps your subconscious figure out what you’re going for.)

Just out of curiosity, is she a Start or Stop MC, and what is the MC Unique Ability?

Oh yes, Dramatica is helping me to fill in the gaps when I didn’t know what they could be. The gap felt uncomfortable. Turns out my blind spot was the IC throughline.

MC is start/change and UA is Attempt.

And, yes, that was another thing…my MC goes above and beyond what’s required…due to her personal situation. I have a few scenes already demonstrating that one too.

It’s fascinating when it comes together. :fireworks:

1 Like

Cool!

What might really blow your mind is if you can see how in your story being interrogated inhibits the MC around attempting something (or some other gist of Attempt).

Since Dramatica says

In Start stories, the Critical Flaw inhibits the Main Character from using his Unique Ability.

2 Likes

ooh that will be a mind twist, but fun to try!

I have the 2 storypoints (CF/UA) in separate scenes, but to have them directly affect each other in the same or closer scenes could be something twisty - fun for the reader too.

1 Like

That’s great if this inspires you! But note they don’t necessarily have to be “in” the same scene. I think the idea is that you (as author) would see that the MC could really make some great progress toward the Goal if only she (Attempt), but because of (Investigation i.e. being interrogated) she’s not really able to start that Attempt.

You might be able to communicate that in the same scene as the CF, or later on (an observation someone makes) or whatever.

Ok, yes, I see what you mean. Thank you!