MC Unique Ability: Prerequisites

Hey all,

I have what I think is a solid storyform for the project I’m working on that fits just about everywhere, but the software gave me the MC Unique Ability of Prerequisites. I understand Prereq as a Story Point, but not so much as a Variation in this slot.

Can any of you think of any examples of Prereq as an MC Unique Ability?

Thanks!

3 Likes
  • An investigator who always does his homework (researching the subject before an interview, that kind of thing)
  • A cook who’s always got all the necessary ingredients on hand
  • Someone who always makes reservations ahead of time
  • Someone who’s really good at filling out all the required paperwork

That said, Unique Ability is definitely one of the points you can leave alone until after you start writing the story, and then look at afterwards to see what it turned out to be. I often find it’s something really neat and unexpected.

6 Likes

Great idea to post the question here.

2 Likes

This is quite helpful. Try this on:

The MC is someone that the others misjudge because he doesn’t seem at all like a romantic action hero (Critical Flaw: Deficiency) but during the moments of crisis demonstrates that he has the analytical mind needed to craft the best strategy, the practical wisdom to approach romantic relationships with maturity rather than simply with hormones, and more “action skills” than anyone suspects.

Does that sound like a fair rendition of Prerequisites in this instance?

At first, I was going to say yes—but after reading through Mikes ideas (and trying to add them to Subtext—but they’re kind of already there!), your illustration sounds more like Strategy and Analysis.

What are the actual steps, or more accurately—what is the methodical process he goes through?

4 Likes

Ha ha, because I looked at the Subtext gists to come up with those ideas!

(One might say, looking at Subtext first is practically a prerequisite :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

@jhull (Funny you should mention Strategy and Analysis, since that’s the MC’s Issue…it’s almost like you understand this stuff! :wink:)

The story is a Regency-era romance, and the OS Throughline is about the characters trying to clear the name of the rightful heir to a baronial estate who is a fugitive because of a past murder charge. The MC initially believes that the heir is guilty, but then at the 2nd MC Signpost, he Learns that the heir was framed. The MC certainly is involved in a great deal of Strategy and plans from the other OS characters swirl around him, but these plans are based on what the character would like to happen rather than on what it true. Ultimately, the MC’s correct Analysis of the situation and antagonist allows him to devise the strategy that succeeds in resolving the OS conflict. (I know I’m talking in structural rather than narrative terms. I didn’t want to make people read a long plot synopsis).

Everyone in the play initially devalues the MC because he does not seem to fit their idea of the proper romantic hero. But he proves to be the linchpin to success at the end. I was wondering if his inherent personal qualities of being a suitable trustee of the estate, his keen analytical mind, and his shooting and pugilistic skills (all of which he possesses from the start and don’t change during the story) qualify as Prerequisites as his Unique Ability?

2 Likes

Would that be Batman’s thing? He went through an awful lot over the decades from the 40’s as I remember, and it seemed that he was working on developing skills, hiding place, identity disguise, etc. and what he considered necessary to have before even starting, in order to fight crime.