Must the Main Character be aware of all that happens in the MC Throughline?

In my story, the Main Character is fated to be responsible for the death of the Impact Character. This prophecy which existed before the story starts is revealed to the reader in MC 2: Understanding under the variation Fate.

Does the fact that it is revealed in MC 2 mean that the Main Character must become aware of it at the same time it is made known to the reader? Can I hide it from him and make it known to him much later in the story?

2 Likes

Well, in a film or play the audience could see something the MC is not aware of. We could read something the MC is told in a book and know it is not true, i.e. historical fact, so I would think so. What you are describing sounds like fun for the audience.

Also, isn’t a story weaving in and out of the MC throughline, as other throughlines are emphasized for storytelling? Wouldn’t that be the MC/IC throughline, though? The audience is watching that tennis match. Is Othello a MC? He was unknowing about ALOT!

Well, my reason for putting it in the MC through line is that the RS is supposed to be “us” and MC is supposed to be “me.” We can say “I will kill the IC,” but its not true that “we (the IC and I) will kill the IC.”

“I’m going to kill you” seems like something that could define a relationship between two people. “We” are not going to kill you, but We are tied together by this prophecy. What would the relationship be about if not that?

1 Like

Fascinating!!!

I wouldn’t think the MC would need all the info that the reader has. Look at the character of Mr Magoo. The humor in those cartoons comes from the audience knowing what the character doesn’t. I’m not sure how that translates to Dramatica. But you mention that MC 2 is Understanding. Maybe the problem is a misunderstanding because the MC doesn’t have info that the reader does.

The only requirement for MC Signpost 2 of Understanding is that the MC must, in this portion of the story, face some conflict relating to his personal issues that stems from Understanding. (By “portion of the story” I don’t mean the page numbers in the book, but the events within the story’s timeline that come after Signpost 1 and before Signpost 3.)

It’s quite possible the MC doesn’t know the source of the conflict, while the reader does (Greg’s example of a Misunderstanding on the part of the MC would fit this well.) It’s even possible that the MC doesn’t think he’s undergoing any personal conflict, sort of fooling himself as to whether there’s even a problem, while the author and probably the reader know better.

Perhaps, this is the character as an OS player, I.e. protagonist, than a Main Character?