Newbie developing working novel title: Back in May

I agree about the Active Release Therapy. I’ve had that before (just for tight muscles from running) and it’s super-painful, but effective.

I’m on board with the Domains. Angela’s definitely a Be-er and Activity certainly seems to fit Bruno better, so it’s safe to make that choice for now (OS Fixed Attitude, MC Psychology). RS Situation, the new-ager and the doctor-type being forced together by an external agency, seems to fit pretty well too. (Just remember nothing’s ever written in stone when storyforming.)

Although I can sort of see problematic Help and possibly problematic Support or lack of Support, I think it’s putting the cart before the horse to go down to that level now. Definitely focus on getting the Concerns right first. I’m still not convinced about the OS Concern and Goal of Subconscious. Subconscious feelings/desires would have to cause everyone conflict, on top of being a reasonable way to articulate the Goal.

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d have a moment to post this past week, but alas between the jetlag and the activities I see it’s an unrealistic expectation.

I’ll be back on 4 Jan and resume crafting the story at that point.

In the meantime, I’d like to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas, Hannuka or happy holidays - which ever you celebrate - and a very Happy New Year!!!

I’m back! Holiday was fantastic and wish it was just a tad longer.

I’ll update the latest story specs in the next post.

Here they are: which is pretty much a mirror of @MiggsEye up above, using the terminology from Story Expert:

CHARACTER DYNAMICS:
MC RESOLVE: Change
MC GROWTH: Stop
MC APPROACH: Be-er
MC PROBLEM-SOLVING STYLE:
Holistic
IC RESOLVE: Steadfast

PLOT DYNAMICS:
DRIVER: Action
LIMIT: Optionlock
OUTCOME: Success
JUDGMENT: Good

OVERALL STORY
(The Overall Story)
DOMAIN: Fixed Attitude
CONCERN: Innermost Desires
ISSUE: Dream vs. Hope
PROBLEM: Faith
SOLUTION: Disbelief
SYMPTOM: Support
RESPONSE: Oppose
CATALYST: Hope
INHIBITOR: Choice
BENCHMARK: Impulsive
Responses
SIGNPOST 1: Memories
SIGNPOST 2: Innermost
SIGNPOST 3: Impulsive Responses
SIGNPOST 4: Contemplation

MAIN CHARACTER
(MAIN CHARACTER (Protagonist))
DOMAIN: Manipulation
CONCERN: Changing One’s Nature
ISSUE: Commitment vs.
Responsibility
PROBLEM: Faith
SOLUTION: Disbelief
SYMPTOM: Pursuit
RESPONSE: Avoidance
UNIQUE ABILITY: Commitment
CRITICAL FLAW: Morality
BENCHMARK: Playing a Role
SIGNPOST 1: Developing a Plan
SIGNPOST 2: Playing a Role
SIGNPOST 3: Changing One’s
Nature
SIGNPOST 4: Conceiving an Idea

INFLUENCE CHARACTER
(IMPACT CHARACTER (Emotion))
DOMAIN: Activity
CONCERN: Obtaining
ISSUE: Self Interest vs. Morality
PROBLEM: Help
SOLUTION: Hinder
UNIQUE ABILITY: Self Interest
CRITICAL FLAW: Responsibility
BENCHMARK: Doing
SIGNPOST 1: Understanding
SIGNPOST 2: Doing
SIGNPOST 3: Obtaining
SIGNPOST 4: Gathering Information

RELATIONSHIP
(The Relationship Story)
DOMAIN: Situation
CONCERN: The Future
ISSUE: Choice vs. Delay
PROBLEM: Pursuit
SOLUTION: Avoidance
CATALYST: Delay
INHIBITOR: Dream
BENCHMARK: How Things are
Changing
SIGNPOST 1: The Present
SIGNPOST 2: The Past
SIGNPOST 3: How Things are
Changing
SIGNPOST 4: The Future

ADDITIONAL STORY POINTS
GOAL: Innermost Desires
CONSEQUENCE: The Future
COST: Obtaining
DIVIDEND: Changing One’s Nature
REQUIREMENT: Impulsive
Responses
PREREQUISITE: How Things are
Changing
PRECONDITION: Doing
FOREWARNINGS: Playing a Role

Looking at the different Story Points, it looks like a sweet story.

1/ The interplay of Goal and Consequence is the main dramatic tension. Here it is Innermost Desires and The Future.

Angela’s basic drive (Goal) is to maintain her inner peace but her fear of never finding the now in The Future (Consequence) is what has her running around looking for peace outside of herself. The Future without peace is her greatest fear.

2/ Requirement: Impulsive Responses - which is what Angela must accomplish in order to achieve the goal.
Here we have Angela needing to let go of her search for the Now in all the wrong places and become spontaneous to her whims or just stop searching so hard and go with her own impulsivity - which for Angela is to float in and out of the world as she feels the need to.

3/ Forewarnings: Playing a role
Angela takes on a number of roles in her search for attaining inner peace - joins in a group meditation (she only ever meditated alone), almost becomes a member of a cult, joins a seance, goes out drinking and gets terribly drunk, sleeps with a stranger, undergoes OTT healing rituals with the Chiropractor.

4/ Cost: Obtaining
She gets involved with the chiropractor more than she intended, and ends up having - obtaining - a crush on him which develops into something strong for her. She tries to fight it but she also needs to just give into it (fits nicely with Requirement). It’s a “cost” to Angela because she will no longer be single and as free-floating as she’s used to.

5/ Dividend: Changing One’s Nature
She falls in love with someone for the first time in her life

6/ Prerequisites: How things are changing so that the Requirement can happen.
Well, I think it’s pretty obvious that Angela’s life is changing so I’m not sure how this storypoint can be separated out. Not sure how it sets up the Requirement of Impulsive Responses - her whimsical nature. I’ll have a think…revisit later.

7/ Preconditions - Doing
The characters will lay out plans and ideas and take Angela to different places that they think will help her regain her Now. Not sure how this will work out in the story because the characters will all be rather active in getting Angela fixed. Maybe there can be an overriding Doing that interferes with the story goal - maybe the Bookstore she works at is threatened with closure, so all the characters are insecure about their livelihoods. IDK, have to think about it.