If you saw my Steadfast Circle post, you'll recall I mentioned wanting to try and craft a Relationship Throughline circle. (As well as an Overall Throughline circle, but that one's already done--and it's reversible!) And if you saw my post about creating story premises, you'll also have seen that I admit a blind spot towards Relationship Throughlines. They're no doubt the squirreliest of the four, and the most variable.
Here's where you come in. I'd like for you to share some of your favorite, most resonant Relationship Throughline moments in stories you've enjoyed. If you could also give me an approximate location of where it takes place, whether via percent or by Act, that would also be helpful. At best, this will give me the material I need to devise the circle I'm working on; at worst, we get to share some great RS moments, and it might help us understand the main beats of the RS Throughline a little better.
Like, here's an example from one of my favorite movies, WALL-E. Some of the major Relationship moments in the movie are:
- WALL-E and EVE (hereon Wally and Eve, because I'm lazy) meet for the first time. Wally falls hopelessly in love. (Basically the start of Act 1)
- Wally introduces Eve to his home, showing her his tape of Hello, Dolly! (Midway through Act 1)
- The montage of Wally defending and "romancing" Eve's closed form. (Act 1 to early Act 2)
- Wally's antics get Eve in trouble with her superiors. (Most of Act 2)
- For a moment, Eve believes Wally is destroyed. Afterwards, they dance outside. (Act 2 to Act 3)
- Wally continues to follow and defend Eve, even after she brushes him off. (Act 3)
- Eve watches the tape of #3, beginning to understand Wally's love for her... and maybe reciprocating it? (Act 3)
- Wally suffers multiple injuries in attempting to protect her and the plant. (Act 3 to Act 4)
- Eve resuscitates Wally with a "kiss," affirming her love for him. (Basically the end of Act 4)
You don't have to list all of them like I did, just your favorites.
EDIT: There are a few particular arcs I'd like to look at, so if you have examples of these, I'd be super grateful.
1. Non-romantic Relationships.
2. Adversarial Relationships vs. non-adversarial Relationships.
3. Relationships in which the characters already know each other before the Throughline starts.
4. Imbalanced Relationships, e.g. a Relationship where the Main Character and Influence Character never personally meet.