SAGE Interpersonal Conflict

Because Interpersonal Conflict is so central to what we do as dramatists, I asked myself recently: what’s known about this already, from people who study it, from professionals in conflict management and so on.

It’s an ongoing project, but I’ve been through the SAGE handbook of Interpersonal Conflict, 3rd and 4th editions, and made a mind map of the results. The analysis and categorization is drawn from real data, from how people actually are in conflict, and what kinds of conflict they have, and how conflicts work out both negatively and positively. It’s an ongoing theoretical work about what conflict is, and how it works, too. It would be interesting to look through this and think about it in the terms Dramatica uses to categorize conflict.

Let me know if you find this interesting and I’ll put some of the other notes up. I recommend obtaining the manuals as well. The Third can be obtained cheaply, the Fourth, current, is quite expensive.

Interpersonal conflict third edition PUBLIC.pdf (84.7 KB)

(I had to go through it and delete some personal stuff. if you spot any in there, let me know, please. Also, please keep this in our community and don’t post it anywhere, especially until I’m sure personal stuff is out.)

There are three outlines. At the top, a very simple outline of the current professional understanding of the structure of interpersonal conflict. in the middle, a basic outline of the book material. At the bottom, a detailed outline.

I’m finding it useful when I’m writing a scene for sparking clarifying ideas about what KIND of conflict my characters are engaged in at the moment, from the known behavioral POV. I’m all about the knowing :wink:

I’ll post it in outline form at some point too. I used MindNode to make it, for the curious.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Will take a look and revert.

1 Like

Sorry to necro this thread, but I was interested in this as well. The link now seems to be a blank PDF page.

Has this been useful? Are there any resources? Is your outline still available?

1 Like

right click the link and when prompted tell it to open in a separate tab. a pop up will spawn and you can save the pdf file

2 Likes

I got it. Thanks. There was a setting in my preferences that was incorrect.

2 Likes

@GetSchwifty This is great! I owe you an apology for not getting back to you sooner. So, I apologize.

This is fantastic stuff. I like how you layered this out. I’ve been doing some mind mapping recently and so I now have a deeper appreciation of it’s applications.

Just to ask, is it possible to offer this in markdown? It’s a lot to study. I use Mindnode on mac (just in case you use the app and don’t mind sharing)

Great work @GetSchwifty

1 Like

I had forgotten I posted this. Sure, I’ll dig up the mindmap and upload it.

2 Likes

getschwifty, can you email me at bastognemedic@gmail.com any pdfs you have that cld ease the analytical work of coming up with storyforms? thanks if you’re still around.

Hey, I’ve put up a lot. I’m busy building a big Skeleton Key now, I’ll gather up all the stuff I can find that I still have and put it in one bundle.

A lot of it is working to improve my OWN understanding. I am a very visual and spatial/linear thinker: words give me a vague idea of what an idea looks like but I need to SEE the thing before it sticks.

2 Likes