Short Story Contest

Has Dramatica ever sponsored a writing contest?

Imagine a contest with:

• a random Storyform that all entrants must follow
  • a wordcount limit (5000-7000?)
  • three judges (editor, creator/story expert, novelist)

A reasonable entry fee with a few prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd… they could be cash prizes, services, or a combination.

One of the issues that I see is… it’s possible that there’s a split between people who are interested in the world of noveling and who are interested in the world of celluloid.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

3 Likes

DOOOOOOOOOPE! Wish I had the time but if the conditions are right, I feel it would be an amazing culture for the community. Although I feel entry should be free. Prizes will be subject to the certified Story Experts.

It sounds like a cool idea to me and could be a really interesting exercise (although I agree with @khodu about concern of having time!).

We were just about ready to call it a night when somebody threw the girl off the bridge.

What a fantastic idea, @museful. It could be a laboratory, of sorts, in which we get feedback from Dramatica story experts while getting working knowledge and experience putting the theory into practice. Plus it will offer insight into how to apply this theory to shorter works. For me, the explanations on how to apply Dramatica to short works have always been rather sketchy—not sketchy/shady but sketchy/cursory. The tendency seems for people to appreciate and use the theory to generate and analyze longer works. So, I look forward to spirited challenges in which we synthesize the theory into shorter works of 5000-7000 words. But why vary the lengths. Why not flash fiction of less than 1000 words?

I’d do it for the challenge alone. Bragging rights for a month or so until the next contest completes could sweeten the pot. That’s how things worked in a community where I cut my teeth learning how to write fiction. They often had flash fiction challenges. The winner got bragging rights and opportunity to develop the next challenge, whether it be a subject or theme, an inspiration image, a group of manadatory elements, or a first line. Participation was organic and didn’t require a significant “prize” to garner reasonable participation: 4-10 entries normally a month. Though to have an hour of a story expert’s consulting time or a free subscription to Jim’s Atomizer at stake might surely ramp up participation.

How about just starting one for the heck of it? Maybe from a single fixed, randomly generated storyform (without gists)? And see what comes? What’s the worst that could happen?

Fantastic idea. Go for it!

1 Like

I’m sure that a number of forum folks would consider paying an entry fee just for the experience and the feedback – even if the feedback were just the kiss of death moment, i.e:

• I stopped reading around page 3. Your fancy vocabulary kept sending me to the dictionary. After the third or fourth time, I just kept reading the dictionary.

I also see it as casting a wider net for more forum members, customers, etc. I think a trial with the Atomizer, an hour session with a Story Expert, or whatever would be great prizes.

I am also fascinated by the short story process with Dramatica. I had hoped that WDK was somehow geared towards that end, but it seems more like the red headed step child (Theon), whereas I would like it to be John Snow.

For flash fiction (500 - 1000 words), I’ve found a single quad represents that length quite well. It could be any quad, though I think Variation and Element quads are most likely.

At least that’s my experience!

I love the idea of sharing stories written with Dramatica with others. But I’m probably not going to pay for a contest. What I think would still be cool and would participate in is maybe a weekly thread where someone gives a random quad, or a unique ability or something and everyone uses that as inspiration for a story or a scene or whatever. Then everyone gets to see how others would use the same elements.

I recall reading an article by Melanie talking about a book she had read with only pieces of stories in them. No continuity between the pieces. No worry about a complete story form. After twelve months, this could be a flash fiction book. One every year!

Hobby as a business. Tax deductible. :wink:

But I get you. However, an entry fee of $25 and the first prize of 3 months subscription to the Atomizer…

Me too.

I have found that my scenes run about 1000 words. Almost like clockwork. At least first drafts. I like the number four. Which is actually a terrible word in China (the pronunciation in Chinese is the same as death I think).

So the word limit was purely strategic and selfish. :smiley:

I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while. There seems to be enough interest. So I’m going to start a thread. Hold on to your hats! This should be one heck of a ride.

2 Likes

Uh oh. Now I’m never going to finish my novel! :slight_smile:

Just put your MC in the story. :wink:

I was thinking about that myself.