Shutter Island Analysis

I guess the best place to start would be is Teddy and changed or steadfast character. I am thinking he is changed. The moment towards the very end where he gives his “partner” an eye to eye look makes me think he still knew reality of what happened, but decided to play the role of marshal again, so he would “die a good man” and not “live as a monstrer”.

I’m not sure I’ve absorbed everything just yet, honestly. Can we start the same place as before and try to place OS, MC, IC, and RS first?

Sure! I will hazard my guesses .
Teddy’s manner of thinking is a source of conflict for everyone. OS psychology.

Teddy’ can’t change what has happened to his family. It is a fixed state that is the source of his conflict. So MC Universe.

I am still trying to grasp where the relationship story is. Few thoughts turning over in my mind. Not ready to guess yet. And my above choices for OS and MC are not necessarily etched in stone either.

So the OS is something like Andrew “Teddy” Laeddis’ violent behavior and fictional persona have everyone engaged in a massive role play to determine whether he will be lobotomized.

Mc is something about his family being dead and him losing it.

Who challenges him in this area?

1 Like

Dr. Cawley challenges him most directly in the area of his family being dead and his losing it. Dr, Cawley devised the entire role play in order to challenge him. I’m going with Dr. Cawley as IC then. However, on further thought, it is his hallucinations that influence him to keep the fantasy going by escalating the nature of his investigation each time he comes to a dead end in his current search. . (as a side note, I am sorry I did not remember the dark turn this movie takes, it is disturbing and if I remembered that I would have at least mentioned it when offering it up as a suggestion.)

You’d be hard pressed to turn me away because of a dark turn in a film. No worries here.

How would this be significantly different from the OS throughline, though. I mean, really, this is pretty much a description of the OS throughline isn’t it?

Is his hallucination of his wife influencing him to change what he’s doing, though? Seems like she’s kinda part of his MC problem.

I think both of these characters are kind of pushing him in a particular direction, I’m just having trouble seeing how the story is looking to them to convince the MC to change, particularly outside of their respective throughlines.

Agreed on each point. I tried looking at where there was a relationship growing together or apart and really can’t see one Maybe with his “partner” marshal Aule. They do have some. Still seems like OS though too.? I am thinking there possibly is no RS? Where do you see the IC? RS?

I really don’t see one, either. I thought maybe I could be talked into an IC, but I don’t know where an RS would be at all. I think this wound up being one of those stories that leans toward a storyform, kinda had the right idea, but just didn’t quite make it there.

1 Like

Agreed. I only remembered that it unfolded kind of like A Beautiful Mind, in that you don’t know until late in the film much of the story has only been “in his head”. I was hoping it would help to see two similar types of films back to back for learning sake. But no, not much left to pursue in this. Thanks for giving it a try.

1 Like

I definitely see where you’re coming from. I still think it’s oretty helpful to have The Princess Bride to compare against A Beautiful Mind (assuming we ended with the right storyform) because seeing how different the two are gives a wider range of how to use the form. But going in, I agree this one looked like it had a good chance of being similar to ABM!

1 Like